Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njrob

Zebra Grass not Growing (yet?)

NJrob
18 years ago

Hi all;

I planted Zebra grass the end of last summer and seemed to do well through the end of the season. I cut it back to about 6-8 inches in March. It is now the beginning of June and have not seen any evidence of growth. We have had a relatively cool spring here in Jersey, does this species just get started later in the spring/early summer or might it be shot? Don't want to pull it prematurely.

Thanks

Comments (5)

• peicook
    18 years ago

Hi
    If it is any consolation there is no sign of mine either which is the exact reason I came to this site tonight. I have about a dozen other grasses and they are all up by now...I will try to be patient. Let's hope we hear from someone else who says they are the last to emerge in the spring!
    Helen

• blackie57
    18 years ago

I'm in Zone 5 and my zebra grass is growing, but no where as vigorous as my other Miscanthus. I would say if its not up in a week or two it doesn't look good....

• gillespiegardens
    18 years ago

zebra grass is considered a warm season grass. this means that its active growth period ( and root establishment)takes place from spring thru mid summer. after that we go into fall... the period that all miscanthus grasses go into dormancy... late summer is still considered early fall. so when you transplanted your grass in late summer you limited the time it had to put down well established roots to help it make it thru the winter...there is a 50/50 chance of your grass making it when planted/transplanted that late in the season. also for the first winter you should mulch it with branches or something substantial for added protection. i lost my first zebra grass for the same reason... along with about 7 out of 10 grasses planted in the fall. that REALLY irritated me lol so thats when i researched grasses thoroughly and learned about cool and warm season grasses. i have no trouble now as i know when to plant/divide/transplant the various grasses.

Sue
    "The one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow"

• peicook
    18 years ago

Just to add that my Zebra grass has finally shown sign of life...Phew. I was sure I had lost it.
    Helen

• rocemi_morales
    7 years ago

Hi all,

I think I am in zone 5 but some maps show ohio as zone 6.

But I planted Zebra grass in Late May last year, it grew beautifully over the summer and I trimmed it once it was browned up late winter.

I have something growing where zebra grass is suposed to be, but it does not have the white stripes? I cut those back and now I am scared I cut the zebra grass??? But when I got them last year they were little but had stripes?

So confused

Sponsored
More Discussions