Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
karl forester grass

Posted by jjbjr 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 20, 09 at 15:02

I have two Karl Forester grasses in front of my house. They are in their second season of growth. I was very pleased how the've developed into these beautiful upright specimens. Well, after continuous rain they have drooped and look lousy. Is there anything I can use to keep them upright through the summer months.I was thinking of tying something around them. Don't want to damage the grasses. I have not used anything other than rain on them. Thanks for any help you could give. jjbjr

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: karl forester grass

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 21, 09 at 18:14

I'm having the same problem in my front gardens. Two KFs which were perfect until all the rain. We've had twice the normal rainfall for all of June so far, and they have opened up a good deal. This morning, they were partially flopping, but today was a bit drier and breezy, so they've straightened up quite a bit.

You can tie them up fairly easily, since they tend to be so upright under normal circumstances. I'd stick a couple of thin bamboo rods into the plant, on the upwind side, and use them as the anchors for some soft jute twine which encircles the plants, just below where the blooms begin.

Also, as the blooms open up, go out and gently shake off excess rainwater to lessen the weight.

o

donn
Great advice Thanks much
jjbjr

o

I have "clump" of "who know's what grass"--gets about 8' tall every year. *tag simply said "assorted grass" when I bought it* I took a large tomatoe cage and cut the legs off, turned it upside down, used the part cut off to make stakes to hold it in place and leave it inplace----no more flopping or falling over on that clump of grass. When the grass fills in, the cage isn't noticed much at all.

o

Is there a wrong time of year to plant Karl? I'm just north of Austin TX, and am interested in doing some fall planting, including about a 1/2 dozen Karls. Thanks.

o

The only wrong time in your zone would be in the hottest part of summer and the coldest part of winter.

You can plant them now, and probably have no problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here