Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for a kind of plant with tiny seeds in bulk orders..

Posted by anchange (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 21, 09 at 15:02

I've got an art project that has some odd criteria -

I need a plant that has seeds the size of sand grains essentially. Seeds like the seeds of Irish Moss if youre familiar with what those look like. Basically very small seeds. The only other criteria is that they can be bought in extreme bulk. Like less then a dollar per gram. Any ideas would be helpful, thank!

Irish Moss is basically exactly what I'm looking for except I can't find a place to buy in cheap enough bulk...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for a kind of plant with tiny seeds in bulk orders..

Basically I want something that looks like this after a week or two - http://files.getdropbox.com/u/455762/ex_irish_moss.jpg

But at the same time is cheap to buy in bulk.

o

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 21, 09 at 18:38

I'm not certain what you will be doing with this seed, or why you've posted your question in the Ornamental Grass Forum, but there are lots of OG seeds which are tiny, and can be bought cheaply in bulk.

An example would be Schizachyrium scoparium (Little Bluestem). There are ~260,000 seeds to a pound, and with careful shopping online, you can buy a pound for under $14 + shipping.

Try using Google, and searching for "native grass seed."

o

I haven't explained my situation well... let me start over. Basically I'm working on this art project where we need to arrange seeds into different patterns and then film the seeds sprouting / creating a pattern / drawing. This will really work with a lot of different kinds of seeds but the tricky part is I need to keep the detail really fine even when the whole layout is going to be massive. Hence after trying a bunch of seeds I've found Irish Moss to work nicely, it has tiny little seeds that produce tiny little sprouts (hence great pattern detail). Only problem is buying Irish Moss seeds gets pricey really quickly... So basically I want cheap tiny seeds that will grow like this - http://files.getdropbox.com/u/455762/ex_irish_moss.jpg

Any help would be AWESOME!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here