Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plant ID

Posted by mje224 z6PA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 11, 05 at 15:05

Hi, I'm new here and figured someone would know the answer. I was in Eureka Springs AR and saw a tall plant that was mostly white with green variegation and grew like a stalk of corn about 5' tall. Any ideas what it was?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plant ID

might be variegated Giant Reed Grass Arundo donax, but they get much taller than that by summer.

o

yes i agree that your plant sounds like variegated arundo donax

sue
"The one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow"

o

Hey Sue, do you know much specifics about growing Arundo donax in Ohio? in Columbus the nurseries do not sell it, thou I have seen Arundo donax growing around town, and on the net about it growing in Michigan. It's not very invasive this far North, is it? so that should not be a issue?

is it easy to dig up a rhizome to plant? I have somebody living near me who has the Green Arundo donax... maybe i could try to raise the courage to ask them if i could dig something up, since I'm not sure where to get it. the few online sources that i can find seem very shaky and very expensive for what is probably a very small plant

o

Thanks. I looked up a picture and it does look like the plant I saw. I knew someone would know on this forum!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here