Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobby1973_gw

HIde Green Utility Boxes

bobby1973
9 years ago

Hi folks - I recently moved into a newly constructed home and out of the 4 houses in the culdesac, I had to be the one who got stuck with all those butt-ugly green electrical boxes on my property. I attached a photo of the right corner of my house that includes one of these green boxes. It actually looks more like a torpedo. Anyhow, I'm trying to sketch out ways to obscure them with plant material.The solution that I have come up with so far is to create a large circle/oval bed that incorporates the green structure. My plan would be to fill it with a collection of Ornamental Grasses and medium size boulders, to create a bit of a 'rock garden' appearance. I don't want to incorporate any colorful flowers into this bed because I don't want it to detract from the foundation beds and the background stone wall. I just want this bed to be peaceful, filled with plant material that will sway in the breeze. I'm thinking about placing a cluster of Blue Oats Grasses in the foreground of the bed, Muhley Grasses in the center, and Red-leaved Miscanthus towards the back end of the bed. I thought this would create a staggered collection of grasses with different textures and colors. I would love to hear of any alternative plant materials that any of you would select for this bed. Thank you kindly!

bobby

Comments (8)

• donn_
    9 years ago

Since the grasses would only hide the utility box for part of the year, I would look for some evergreen shrubs instead. You could mix in some grasses for seasonal interest, but the shrubs would provide year-round screening.

• bobby1973
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hear where you're coming from Donn, but my plan is to retain the dead grass stalks through the winter and shear them only in early Spring. My hope is that this will keep the grasses looking interesting through the winter and of course continue to obscure that green utility box. The good thing about the Blue Oats Grasses is that they're evergreen in my area. So they'll serve as a good hedge year round. Thank you again for your feedback Donn!

• Ninkasi
    9 years ago

Red Amaranth (prince's feather) would be especially lovely, and has a gorgeous color. Alternatively, some cattails or alliums would provide good movement.

• bobby1973
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions Ninkasi. I'll look into those as well.

bobby

• donn_
    9 years ago

"The good thing about the Blue Oats Grasses is that they're evergreen in my area."

If you refer to Helictotrichon sempervirens, I grow quite a few of them, and they are only semi-evergreen in my warm zone 7. By the middle of winter, they are pretty ratty and matted messes, and I cut them back. Since they're cool season grasses, they come back quickly as spring comes in, but they're pretty short for a few months.

They don't get quite as bad as those in the link below, because I cut them back in mid-winter, but they're pretty bad.

Here is a link that might be useful: H. sempervirens after winter

This post was edited by donn_ on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 15:09

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

Muhlenbergia lindheimeri is a big tall blueish grass that will grow in your zone. It has a vertical habit and doesn't necessarily have to be trimmed in spring. Its also known as 'Big Muhly' It grows fast with moisture but is very drought hardy too. Same goes with Muhlenbergia 'rigens' another big grass that has a different habit or you could do a grouping. If you really want to hide it, go big with Sacaton wrightii, its gorgeous in late afternoon sun. Each of these grow fast and will effectively hide that thing, no problem.

• bobby1973
    Original Author
    9 years ago

awesome suggestions! thank you.

• dg
    9 years ago

Of course you'll want to call the utility locator folks before digging anywhere near these boxes.

If you cut the lines you will be responsible for damages and repairs. If the wires are 'hot' or you hit gas lines, that could be a disaster.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022
More Discussions