Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SRG summer planting, trimming tops?

Posted by cactusgarden 7OK (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 18, 11 at 16:11

I think I need to trim back the tops of the Little Bluestem I purchased. I am positive I read once to do this if you are summer planting new O. grasses but would like a second opinion. Seems I read to trim back the tops 1/3 or 2/3 (which?) to encourage thicker plants and stimulate root growth and to take stress off the young plants helping them establish, but cannot remember exactly. These plants have culms on them and look fairly scraggly as a result, but healthy otherwise, with no die off. I am giving them a good watering every day and they are planted in good loam that takes up water well and drains fast.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SRG summer planting, trimming tops?

Some cold season grasses will respond to in-season shearing by sending up new growth. Carex muskingumensis and Festuca glauca are among them.

Warm season grasses, however, like S. scoparium, are finished growing new shoots until next year. The existing shoots will elongate until the plant starts to flower, and if you trim the blades, they will have squared-off blades which will brown at the edges.

o
RE: SRG summer planting, trimming tops?

My experience is that bluestem will put on a push in its growth in late August and september into its October bloom cycle. I seems like if you trim it a bit, it will have time before it is ready to push out its blossom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here