Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
knottyceltic

Variegated Reed grass vs. Ribbon Grass

knottyceltic
18 years ago

I'm totally new to ornamental grasses and picked up a pot of 'something' at a perennial yard sale. My dad said it's "Ribbon Grass" and get rid of it b/c I have very small gardens but to me it looks more like Variegated Reed Grass. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to tell the difference between the two or if their seed heads will look different. Are both of them invasive? When I planted it, it looked pathetic, about 4 leaf stalks sticking up and then flopping onto the dirt. One month later it is about 6+ inches across the base of the "bunch" and looking EXTREMELY healthy which makes me think maybe my dad is right. I can post a picture soon but if anyone can give me any tips on telling the two apart, that would be great.

Thanks,

Barb

Comments (11)

• Tree_Frog
    18 years ago

Phalaris (ribbon grass) grows 3-4' high and has leaves that are maybe 0.5" wide.

Arundo donax 'Variegata' (variegated reed) grows 10-20' high and has leaves that are 1.5-2' wide.

Other than the fact that they are vaguely similar in color, it would be difficult to confuse them. It's like comparing a mouse and a moose.

• well_rooted
    18 years ago

I am guessing that the Variegated Reed grass you are referring to is Calamagrostis 'Overdam' or 'Avalanche'.

The Phalaris (ribbon grass) spreads underground. Pull up some of the outside leaves and see how they connect to the parent. If you can't pull them up because they are too close, then its probably the nicely behaved Calamagrostis. If you can tell its a traveller, then you have the very poorly behaved ribbon grass.

Also, I think that ribbon grass is more white than green and the Calamagrostis 'Overdam' is more green than white.

Phalaris started blooming awhile ago and the tips of the leaves are often pink.

The blooms of Calamagrostis are just starting to push their way up out of the foliage.

Go to Google Images for a easy way to find pictures of both.

• knottyceltic
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for your replies folks. Yes, the Overdam was what I was hoping it was but it seems it's most likely the darn'd Ribbon grass. It's more white than green, it has shoots coming up ouside the main mound and it's only about 12-16" tall and seems to be staying that height. Oh well...out it comes and I'll just have to chalk it up to a learning experience.

Thanks again for your knowledge.

Barb

• knottyceltic
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mmmm.. slip of the finger...that was supposed to be "inches", not "feet"

Barb

• wyndyacre
    18 years ago

If you like the looks of the ribbon grass but don't want it to invade the rest of your garden just plant it in a pot and sink the whole pot into the ground. It will grow quite well in there (I have some that has been in a quart pot for about 5 years) and can't send out its invasive little roots to take over the world!
    I just bought two pots of Calamagrostis "Overdam"...in a couple years I'll be able to bring some to a London Trade Day :)

• mrmorton
    18 years ago

I love Overdam. Great, well-behaved grass. Perfect height and contrasts well with many perennials.
    I have a stand of Ribbon grass that I plan on removing soon. I actually rather like it, despite it's invasiveness. Mine doesn't bloom.

• knottyceltic
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Even though I'm quite sure this is Ribbon grass now, I still like the appearance of it. It is a nice tight clump and so far really well behaved but if it's true to it's species I'm sure it will go crazy. It was the rapid growth spurt it took. It's now just over a month and a half that it's been in the ground and the clump is easily 6x the original width across it's base. As such it's going but I will miss it, I just can't have such a fast growing plant in my tiny gardens. :o/

Barb

• Tree_Frog
    18 years ago

Celtic,

Your opinion of ribbon grass may change as the season progresses. This grass always starts out great then turns ratty and bedraggled looking by late summer. I finally dug mine out and naturalized it in an out of the way spot so I didn't have to look at it in August.

• HU-96520333120
    5 years ago

I bought three overcame grasses at Lowes. Only one is blooming this June. Will the others bloom? What can I do to help them????

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    5 years ago

This is a very old thread.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    5 years ago

Time is all they need Houzz user.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions