Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the tallest clump of Miscanthus sinensis?

Posted by noki z5-6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 21, 08 at 16:54

What is the tallest Miscanthus you can get, other than the hybrid 'Gigantus'?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the tallest clump of Miscanthus sinensis?

There are a number of Miscanthus sinensis that get into the 9' range. Cabaret, Cosmopolitan, Autumn Light, Bronceturm, are all really tall. I've seen some Strictus get surprisingly tall as well.

o

in zone 5/6 our miscanthus max out at about 6/7 feet.gigantus goes to about 12 to 14

o

I have Miscanthus xgiganteus (Giant Miscanthus) that easily reaches 12-14 feet. The first couple of seasons it toped out at around 9 feet. It's so thick that deer don't go through it. Everyone who sees it wants to know what kind of grass it is. Its impressive!

o

• Posted by noki Ohio (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 25, 08 at 23:02

I have the hybrid 'Gigantus', I don't think it got to 10' last year. Now my Arundo donax got 12-13' last year. The Reed Grass has overtaken the 'Gigantus' this year maybe 10' to 8' so far. 3rd summer for both.

I also have 'Strictus'. It's 6' now. Such a nice strong plant. They need to have an all dark green version of 'Strictus', would make a great screen.

I also have 'Grosse Fontaine', maybe the blades get as tall as 'Strictus', but it droops much more. Its getting wide in it's 4th summer. I want a miscanthus even taller and stronger, with redder inflourences and better fall color.

Yes, I just get bored and want to change things.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here