Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juicylucy_gw

Spacing of Schizachyrium 'The Blues'

juicylucy
18 years ago

Hi all,

I'm planning to do a mass planting of Little Blue Stem and looking for recommendations on spacing. Would 2' be adequate or should I allow some additional space?

Comments (7)

• AgastacheMan
    18 years ago

Two feet would put the plants neck and neck to each other, resulting in over-growth of the crowns. gThis would be good for a neglected prarie, but for a clean mass planting, 3 feet apart from crown to crown would be appropriate. I have a mass planting of "The Blues" and "Blaze", and 3 feet gives this planting a clean, architectural look versus the wild prarie look...

• juicylucy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you AgastacheMan, I really appreciate your recommendation, esp. since I've not grown Little BS and I'm not at all familiar w/its growth habit. I'm definitely trying to achieve a clean mass planting, not a wild, "neglected prairie" look so 3' it shall be :)

Thanks again!

• AgastacheMan
    18 years ago

welcome....Let me know if you have any other questions. Schizachryium is one of my favorite genus' for ornamental and native prarie grasses. The coloring in the fall with "The Blues" and "Blaze" cultivars is quite different with the structure and blending of the colors.

• juicylucy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I've not seen Blaze offered around here but will keep an eye out. Very much looking forward to growing 'The Blues' though. I'm crazy about OG's and can't seem to get enough (love agastache also :)! Thanks again!

• sage_lover
    18 years ago

In my zone 6 area I was told "The Blues" would flop. So I chose the regular Little Bluestem. Would have Loved to used The Blues because of it's incredible colors! This plant has tolerated salt from snow removal, drought, and soil compaction so I cannot complain! Still I have the "blues" about not being able to plant "The Blues." Anyone know why this plant would flop? Clay soil and poor drainage? Would some sort of soil amending prevent this problem?

• dereks
    18 years ago

Sage Lover: I grow 'The blues' in dry sandy soil and it has not flopped at all. Even after snowfall, it would stand up again. I think the trick is the dry sand. Moisture and rich soil will encourage floppiness.

• sage_lover
    18 years ago

Thanks dereks, makes sense. Guess I will stick with the standard little bluestem, which is doing quite a nice job for me here. ( After I un-bury it from the mulch our contractor blasts it with! Planted it where I work.)

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz