Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coloradobird

If you could choose one . . .?

coloradobird
17 years ago

Not knowing anything about grasses, except a bit of research I've been doing, I would like to know. . .

If you had space for one clump of ornamental grass behind a perennial garden, in the corner where two fences meet (shade after mid-afternoon), and you wanted a grass that would get up to 5 -6 feet tall (If it gets much taller than 6', the top will be lost to view because of a Linden tree between the house and the garden), what would you choose? Oh, and you might not want one that requires real moist soil, because you live in dry Colorado.

I guess I would call this a "specimen" plant. I really don't have room for more than one, seeing how they grow into a good-size clump.

Some of the miscanthus seem like possibilities. Do they really require lots of water? (Bluestem says moist soil--does that mean constantly moist, or watered a couple of times a week like the perennials?)

What would you choose if you could have only one?

Thanks much in advance.

Comments (13)

• donn_
    17 years ago

Only one? That's a tough choice. Can you post a picture that shows the location, with the perennial bed included? The contents of the bed should be a determining factor in the decision.

Miscanthus, in general, doesn't require a lot of water, after it's established. For the first year after installation, you should pay close attention to it's water needs, but after that, you'll be ok.

Since this will be a specimen planting, you should look for something striking and unique, maybe with unusual variegation, or very ornamental plumes. Think about the play of wind and light on that location, and use your choice of grass to capitalize on that action.

Finally, be sure to plan on the growth of the clump. Give it plenty of stand-off from the fence, so it doesn't cram itself up against it, and consider how it may overhang the perennial bed.

• coloradobird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Donn,

Thanks for your reply. I agree that something striking and unique would be desirable. I have looked at so many pictures that at this point I'm just confused. What would you personally consider to be striking and unique? As far as miscanthus, there's strictus, which looks attractive in pictures (zebrinus gets too tall from what I've read); I keep reading about how nice gracillimus is, but it gets too tall it seems. Then there's Calamagrostis acutiflora 'Karl Foerster' which seems popular, but the photos I have seen don't show something unique or beautiful.

I would love to post a picture, if I could just figure out how to do it! At one time, I had discovered how to do that (except that it was in "gallery," which seems to be a different list--I couldn't see how to do it in a posting on the discussion list). And then I could never get my picture small enough to be posted (any hints here?). I tried Save for Web in Photoshop Elements, thinking that would do the trick, and it didn't; I tried manually making it smaller and smaller, but that didn't work, either. My camera takes big pictures. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thank you!

• donn_
    17 years ago

Open a free account at Photobucket.com and store a copy of your photo there. When you upload the pic to them, they automatically resize it to your choice of postable sizes. Then simply copy their posting syntax, below the thumbnail, and paste it here. Works like a charm.

• coloradobird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you, Donn. Okay, I opened my photobucket account and uploaded my photo. I didn't see how to choose a size, but it seems to have worked. There are three choices below the thumbnail--URL, Tag and Img--I'm not sure which to use here. I guess I'll start with URL and paste it below.

In the photo, you see a juniper straight back and to the left a bit. It is behind this plant that I want to place a specimen plant (ie. ornamental grass). Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks again.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• donn_
    17 years ago

In Photobucket, top right, click Account Options.

In the first section, User Information, set your Max Picture Size. I use 512KB.

To paste the picture into a post on GW, select and copy the second set of syntax, marked Tag, then just paste it into a post.

Now to the grass. Because of the Juniper, and the height restriction of the tree, you want something that concentrates it's plumes in that small window above the Juniper but below the crown of the tree. It looks like there's room to the right and left for the plumes to arch outward somewhat, in a fountain effect.

I'd look at these Miscanthus sinensis cultivars:

'Flamingo'
    'Helga Reich'
    'Hinjo'
    'Kleine Silberspinne'
    'Morning Light' (one of the best)
    'Roterpfeil'
    'Sarabande'
    'Silberspinne'

You could also consider these:

Cortaderia selloana 'Pumila'
    Calamagrostis x acutiflora 'Karl Foerster'
    Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Paul's Giant'
    Panicum virgatum 'Heavy Metal,' 'Red Cloud' or 'Warrior.'

I've only mentioned some of the perennials which could work. Keep in mind, there are also a variety of tall grasses which could be grown as annuals and will fill the space in one growing season, before dying off.

By the way...nice looking bed you have there.

• coloradobird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Donn,

Thank you for your suggestions. I will look up those varieties.

Yes, you have the right idea, I hope to find something that will show nicely in that space between the tree and the juniper.

Thanks for your help with the photo stuff. I will use your directions and try putting the photo in here.

Yahoo!--it worked! (What a Godsend--I have many times wanted to post photos--they really do speak a thousand words.)

Thanks for your help (and patience)!

• coloradobird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Donn,

Hopefully you will read this. . . I just realized it would've been smarter to post here, rather than start a new thread. Do you know if any/all of the Miscanthus varieties you listed above would tolerate sun/part sun?

Thanks!

• jake
    17 years ago

C-bird -

I too would suggest Panicum virgatum "Heavy Metal" as this is one of my most prized grasses.

The blue-green color gives one so many other color shades to compliment or contrast with Heavy Metal.

Miscanthus grasses as Donn stated, there are quite a few that could work in your situation. I would consider possibly:

'Gracillimus' 5-6'

'Strictus' 7-8'

'Zebrinus' 6-7'

'Morning Light' red-bronze inflorescense, varigated fronds (leaves)

There are aquite a few Miscanthus grasses that have been discovered and developed by Bald Eagle Nursery (now called Long's Garden & Nursery). This place is located in Fulton IL.

These M.s. grasses will have the "Ben" name in their title such as M.s. Bitsey Ben or Jailbird Ben. I have no known email address to offer you as we just get in the truck and drive there.

Not being wholly apprised of your growing season (is it short and how short or is it long etc.) the heights I offered for the grasses may never be reached due to the growing season.

Decisions?? Never easy in the ornamental grass world.

Jake

• coloradobird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

HI Jake,

Thank you for the additional recommendations. I will look into those as well.

Our growing season is fairly short, but not extreme. Last frost around May 20, starts getting quite cold again in October.

With that in mind, which of your recommendations would be best for me?

Thanks!

• noki
    17 years ago

since you don't want one that gets over 6' ... I'd suggest Miscanthus 'Graziella' or the finely variegated 'Morning Light' ... both are very well regarded overall, both are fairly common at good nurseries.

'Graziella' also produces blooms earlier for shorter growing seasons

Miscanthus 'Huron Sunrise' is a newer variety that produces burgundy blooms early and often, was selected for this characteristic, doesnt get real big

... one thing I know about Colorado is that it is very sunny, clear skies 300+ days a year... you may want to always water a little to keep the grass looking fresh

• coloradobird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Noki,

You're right about the sun here--intense and never lets up! Thanks for the recommendations. I love the photo of Graziella at Bluestem. Gorgeous.

More to think about. . .

• donn_
    17 years ago

bird..there is such a thing as overthinking a decision. You want to get this plant in the ground with enough time to get itself established before the harsh winter blows in. Keep in mind that your decision is not irreversible. If you don't like the variety you choose, you can swap it out for another without much difficulty.

• coloradobird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Donn, you and I were thinking alike. I was getting tired of all this thinking and rethinking (yes, it's a terrible problem I have, especially concerning the garden--since it is small, I feel that every plant I put in has to be just right)--anyway, I went to a local garden store and picked out a Panicum virgatum 'Heavy Metal'. Then I decided that I do have room for one more OG there in front of Heavy Metal and settled on a Calamagrostis acutiflora 'Overdam'. And I got Northern Sea Oats for the space in front I previously posted about.

Well, so, that's done. Now I'm thinking, can I put something in a pot, taking advantage of the sun on the south side of my patio. . .? (Thinking again.)

Thanks much for all your help.

Sponsored
More Discussions