Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Companion plants for Panicum Dallas Blues

Posted by sage_lover z6 OH (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 23, 05 at 21:45

I have 5 Dallas Blues & will likely add 3 more to make a better massing. The soil is ok top 4" but construction compacted below. Needs to be a fairly tough plant!

Spirea "Goldflame" is my choice at the moment, but would very much appreciate any ideas anyone could offer. Due to exsisting trees, deep tilling is not an option.

Have no experience with Dallas Blues so not sure what to expect. Planted them about 4 weeks ago and am LIKING what I am seeing!!! It seems to be a grass worth checking out if you have not done so. I have been told that it does not self seed like other Panicums do also.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Companion plants for Panicum Dallas Blues

Dallas Blues is one of my favorite Panicums. I haven't had it reseed at all since I have been growing it for the last two years. I have placed it with other grasses, like Muhlenbergia capillaris Regal Mist, Muhlenbergia japonica variegata, Eragrostis spectabilis and so on.

o

A neighbor planted three 'Dallas Blues' with blackberry lily in full sun. At the end of the season, the seed heads on the blackberry lily looked stunning next to the 'Dallas Blues.' One of the best fall combinations I've ever seen.

Rhoda

o

I am not familiar with blackberry lily, but will look into it. Is there another name for this lily? Do not tease me with words like, "stunning", and, "one of the best fall combinations I've seen!" I must know more!!! What would you say made it a great fall combo?

Thank you, & Agastache above for responding to my question, btw!

o

Dallas Blues looks great beside sedum 'Autumn Joy'. Another combination has it beside nine bark 'Diablo'

o

Blackberry lily=Belamcanda chinensis. This lily has bluish-green iris-like foliage, with orange or yellow flowers speckled with red in fall. The flowers twist into a spiral before dropping, followed by seedpods that burst to show off shiny black seeds. It looks great with many ornamental grasses. Another interesting fall bloomer to add to the mix is Anemone sylvestris. Add a variety of short asters, sedums, agastaches, sage, stir well and enjoy! :p

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here