Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssly3333

I can't get my grass to grow after following all instructions

ssly3333
11 years ago

Sorry no pictures - I am having trouble planting fescue grass to fill in spots on the grass in my yard. I bought seeds that are for shade and for much sunlight. I laid down topsoil that I bought. I spread the seeds with a seed spreader according to instructions. I used a rake over it according to instructions. I laid down straw but not too dense. The seeds got plenty of natural spring rain, and I would water it too.

However, only about 20% of the seeds sprouted the grass (a lot of places didn't sprout any grass), so the empty spots on the grass in my yard sparsely have grass now. What am I doing wrong? Everyone I know just throws seeds on the ground without topsoil or straw and it grows like crazy for them. I put so much work into planting my grass and get no results.

I have not had trouble growing winter ryegrass in the past. Currently, I have some planted grown ryegrass in my backyard that stays in the shade all day, and would like to know if this ryegrass section still will die in the summer if it's in the shade (or should I plan some regular grass over it to handle the summer and all year-round?

Need to spread some lime on the grass? Or will lime burn or kill newly formed sprouts or seeds but Mark

Thank you for your time!

Stephen