Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newgirl_gw

Do I need a crane to move Miscanthus???

newgirl
18 years ago

Help! Newguy attempted to dig up a 3 ft. Miscanthus and didn't have much luck. He said it was like digging up a tree! What can you all tell me about the root system and the best way to get this thing out of the ground?

I assume it would be easier if we soaked the area with water. What else to do?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• noki
    18 years ago

if its been there awhile the roots might be tough. just have to work hard, and may have to cut alot of roots, but it is not impossible. how wide is the clump, the wider the older it is...

you may just want to get a new one

• BruMeta
    18 years ago

I moved two today, but they were only between 12 and 18 inches in diameter. The larger one was about a hundred pounds. If your clump is 3 feet in dia., then, yes, you will need at least a backhoe. On the other hand, if it is 3' across (at its base), it needs to be divided. Just cut sections with a sharp spade (not a shovel) while it is in the ground and move them. Discard the center if it is not growing (which it probably isn't if it's 3' across.)

• mckenna
    18 years ago

I moved some pretty large (3 ft +) clumps from a construction site I supervised and they transplanted fine even in late August. They didn't flower great that season (last year) but look fantastic now. Tie the plants up and wear protective clothing (I looked like I got mauled by a cat). I didn't get a huge rootball, but watered well after transplanting. Good luck :)

• newgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the replies! Newguy still hasn't attempted to try again with the removal. And, of course, the grasses are fully grown now.

McKenna-what tool did you use, a spade?

• mckenna
    18 years ago

A spade I grabbed from one of the construction workers. Didn't get a huge root ball as I had to stay ahead of the backhoe. I guess my job has one perk.

• mckenna
    18 years ago

Now that I think of it, I should have just used the backhoe. Could'a got a nice root ball. Stupid is as stupid does.

• dereks
    18 years ago

I have heard that people use an ax to cut pieces out. I have a six year old miscanthus that is awfully big. I dread the day I have to dig that up. It's a miscanthus 'malepartus'. It is already seven feet wide along the top and it's only june!

• cfmuehling
    18 years ago

Last year I planted probably 12 different grasses in this new, street-side bend I envisioned. Needless to say, this new gardener planted them far too close together.

This thread tells me I can safely chop them in 1/2 and move them, spreading them out to the new bed I created this year, too.

However, when do you think it would be a good time to do so? I'm thinking after they flower and perhaps after a frost? Or better in the spring after I chop all the dead foliage off?

Thanks,
    Christine

• blackie57
    18 years ago

Christine, Do it in the spring after you have cut them back and you see the first signs of new growth. Easier to handle and they seem to establish better that way..

Blackie

• hackbagger
    18 years ago

Ax, spade, chainsaw, machete, cleaver, bowsaw, dynamite, bobcat all work well. Ive been growing large ones for ten years and the last one I moved took six hours and everything I had to get it out. A primal scream was heard for miles when it finally came loose! Had to be a couple hundred pounds. Next year it'll be worth every bit of effort. They'll be spectacular!!

• pezhead
    18 years ago

divide and move grasses just as new growth begins -- early spring for cool season grasses and early summer for warm season growers. A huge clump should just get chopped into sections -- they'll all get huge again in time!

Sponsored
More Discussions