Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chestnutpatrick

chasmanthium latifolium (No dice)

chestnutpatrick
16 years ago

I planted northern sea oats seed a couple of weeks ago. No germination. Does it need stratification? I thought this stuff grows like weeds. What is your experience in sowing during the month of May?

PC

Comments (7)

• donn_
    16 years ago

Chasmanthium takes it's own sweet time germinating. It doesn't need cold strat, but is seems to require anywhere from a few days to a few months to sprout. I'm still nursing along several pots I started last spring ('06), and they had some germination right away, and more right through the summer. I told myself I was going to experiment with a warm water pre-soak this year, but didn't listen to myself.

Keep them, moist, and in dappled shade. They should sprout eventually. If you got them from me, the test batches had 85% germination.

• chestnutpatrick
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I sowed the seeds in single cells. Probably should have sowed in bulk. Having a hard time keeping them moist in the heat. I probably will wait until the fall and start some cool season varieties. I have about 200 pots of OG started from the seed you shared. I will take some pictures and post them when I get a chance.

PC

• chestnutpatrick
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It is germinating now. Cool weather in the past 48 hrs is probably giving it a kick start. I am glad I didn't toss the flat.

PC

• donn_
    16 years ago

"I probably will wait until the fall and start some cool season varieties."

Keep us posted on the results. The concern, of course, is that fall seedlings have enough time to establish before winter. Cool season grasses should work out.

• chestnutpatrick
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Stays pretty mild here in zone 7. I will sow some seed in the fall of the year and and save the rest for spring. Will keep you all updated.

PC

• chestnutpatrick
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Northern Sea oats out the wazoo. They did well. I have about 50 plants in containers grown from single seeds. I should have planted many seeds per pot.

Donn, your mini cell technique works like a charm. These were sown as single seeds. The roots are reaching the bottom of the number one pots that they are living in. Will they form clumps over time or will they remain as a single stem? Just curious.

Patrick

• donn_
    16 years ago

"Northern Sea oats out the wazoo."

That must be painful, but it's better than having them coming out of your ears.

They'll form multi-stemmed clumps in no time. While they're single-seed plants, look closely to see if there are any displaying unusual characteristics. Bigger leaves, smaller leaves, different color, more or less upright, etc.. It isn't likely with Chasmanthium, but it's possible you could find a 'sport' with unusual and desirable characteristics.

With those which are normal, it's perfectly acceptable to speed up the clumping process by potting two or more single seedlings together. Simply wash off the old soil, cluster the root systems together, and pot them up.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions