Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grass in some sun

Posted by sauna 6 nw arkansas (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 18, 05 at 22:44

i have a question....i have a difficult area that is between/under maples...vinca is thriving there...i want to plant micanthus variegated here...i get sun from sunrise to about ten oclock in the morning and maybe some filtered sun for a couple of hours in the early evening...

i accept that the grass will not grow as quickly as if it were planted almost anywhere else, but i am wondering if it will grow, and in a year or two even get wider taller...

can anyone help me with this?

thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grass in some sun

hard to tell but competing with tree roots sounds like a bad idea, and if lawn grass wont grow there either it sounds less than ideal. regular Maiden grass will grow at least somewhat in less than ideal conditions but will not get as tall or "flower". it probably will grow and live in that light but may not be very impressive

you could try Ribbon Grass which is variegated buts grows like a weed, extremely easy to divide and spread. might be anough sun for it to do okay, doesnt seem very picky about soil

Japenese Forest grass, Hakone grass, does well in just morning light but might need better soil and watered alot

o

• Posted by Donn_ Z7, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 19, 05 at 9:42

You could also grow other grasses that are less sun-needy, like the Woodrushes (Luzula) and Northern Sea Oats (Chasmanthium). I have a lovely Snowy Woodrush growing in the shade and root system of a huge Black Locust, and it seems to be thriving. Sea Oats and Sweet Vernal Grass (Anthoxanthum) are in the same bed, and also doing fine.

o

• Posted by sauna 6 nw arkansas (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 19, 05 at 11:57

thank you for the replies...i do think it is an impossible situation...but a large variegated grass would sure look pretty in my mind there...alas :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here