Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MS Morning Light problems??

Posted by emj123 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 07 at 8:13

I have 4 MS Morning Lights planted side-by-side that have been in the ground for three years, all of which, until now, have done very well. I noticed recently that one on the end is not quite as full as the others, though the heights are fairly equal. I just noticed that this same one has some dead blades, so far about 3 or 4 blades, around the perimeter ("dead" meaning that they are completely light brown/dry and look as they should in the winter). Other than these few blades and not being quite as full as the others, I see no other apparent problems, bugs, floppiness, etc.

They all receive the same sun exposure (full sun), but the end one is next to a space that sees standing water with heavy rains because of a section of gutter that needs to be bent back. When it rains heavily, however, the water doesnt hit or accumulate at the base of the grass; rather, it hits a section of mulch about 6 inches out from the base. But, this has only occurred once this year, in May, and we have had nearly drought conditions since. After a prolonged period of very dry conditions, I started watering deeply about once per week and the other 3 continue to do very well. Should I be concerned? I have never seen brown/dry blades this time of the year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MS Morning Light problems??

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 11, 07 at 13:07

There are lots of possible causes. Pull the mulch away from it's base, and examine the crown closely, for signs of rodent activity. Sometimes mice and other rodents will dig nests in the crowns of OG's.

Cut off one of the affected blades, and dissect it. Watch for any signs of insects or rust in the culm itself, and the sheaths and nodes.

o
RE: MS Morning Light problems??

Ugh! Ok, when I can bring in reinforcements (in case I do see a rodent), I will do that. What will I be looking for, holes, tunnels, mounds, etc.? (I did find a dead rodent laying next to this same grass last Spring, but it could have been one of several cats bringing me a gift from elsewhere. I do get a lot of squirrels in my yard; I don't know if they are possible culprits).

BTW: When I posted the original post, the dried blades were of the same form as the healthy ones--cascading. Now they are curly. I did pull one healthy and one dead blade and sliced them open in several spots. I did not see any matter (bugs, rust) on either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here