Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
creamgogo

is morning light a fast grower?

creamgogo
17 years ago

i just planted it and it's about knee high in zone 5. just was wondering if i will get much growth this year.

thanks

Comments (23)

• donn_
    17 years ago

It probably grows at about the same rate as other Miscanthus sinensis cultivars. The only real difference between them and their growth, is their ultimate mature size.

There's an often quoted line about ornamental grasses (and other perennials). The first year they sleep, the second year they creep and the third year they leap! If your plant is "knee high" (A very loose term. There's a huge difference between the height of my knees and SWMBO's knees.) now, it's probably in it's 2nd year. Moving from pot to ground will set it back a bit, but not much. It'll grow it's foliage a bit more this year, through the summer, and it's plumes, if it blooms, will be taller yet. It might make waist-high to the foliage, and mid-torso to the plumes. Next year, you probably won't be able to see over it.

• noki
    17 years ago

water on a regular basis and it should grow... and next year grow MUCH bigger

adding organic material when you plant it also helps

• molie
    17 years ago

We planted our 'Morning Light' at the bottom of the stairs down from our deck and last season it was HUGE... about 6-7 feet tall up to the top of the deck. This year we'll have to divide it. It's a beauty.
    Molie

• blackie57
    17 years ago

Cream,

Here's a photo of my 6 year old Morning Light. It is currently almost 6 feet tall and about 3+ feet around at the base. I'm gunna hate dividing it.

• creamgogo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

that photo right there is the reason i had to have one of these! it's unbelieveably awesome! never get tired of that photo! thanks!

• blackie57
    17 years ago

Cream,

Took another photo of my Morning Light last evening and as you can see, the wet spring and summer weather this season has caused it to cascade more this year than last, but it's still an incredible grass.
    I do believe it might be time to split it, because ti seems to grow in circumference each year and is now crowding out other pl;ants which were completely visable last season.

Any thoughts by you other grass experts on whether I should divide this or just let it go ??

Blackie
    {{gwi:260179}}

• donn_
    17 years ago

It's a gorgeous plant, but from the other photo it looks like it's getting pretty close to the porch/patio. If having it encroach on the porch space doesn't bother you, you could let it go until the base/crown reaches the blocks. It really looks happy.

• blackie57
    17 years ago

Donn,

I does encroach barely into the porch area but I think thats's part of the charm of the grass. I think it will be easier to move the underplantings than the grass anyway !! ;)

• jake
    17 years ago

You really do not need to add any material to aide in the growth of ornamental grasses. We added 99.995% pure compost to our perennial beds and the grasses we planted in these beds were droopy and weak.

Plant your grasses in unlamented soils but water regularly during the first year. That works for the grasses we have planted here in z 4b-5.

Soil too rich in amendments has caused our grasses to flop and droop. Too much water has and can cause the same reaction.

Grasses are a man's (and others) perennial.

Plant the grass, water it in, grab a chair, grab refreshment and watch it grow.

In the spring cut it back, grab a chair and refreshment and watch the grass(s) grow. In the sparing cut it back .......

What man can go wrong w/ this type of gardening and becoming a knowledgeable plant person ??

Jake

P.S. I'm still working on this process to improve all parts of ornamental grass growing. It's a lot of research, data collecting, analysis and review but somebody has to do it.

Okay, donn you are probably several pages ahead of me but we need to encourage more to become part of our addiction.

Blackie where are you ?? I need your support here !!

• blackie57
    17 years ago

Jake I'm here... things have been quite ni this forum lately. By the way, I just added Karly Rose to my collection this year. I know it's marginal in my area, but a friend has one and it's come back great the past two years. Love the early plumes and it makes a great statement coupled with some daylilies. I'm sure this new bed will expand quickly, but it was the best I could do in this heat.. ;)

• donn_
    17 years ago

I just added 'Karley Rose' this year as well. I got 3 nice divisions in a trade in mid-June, potted them up in 3,4, and 6 quart containers, and they're all blooming already. Very nice grass.

• creamgogo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

blackie, how in the heck are you getting your edging so perfect? don't tell me a shovel...as i've tried that and failed miserably!

when you do this, do you actually dig the WHOLE bed a few inches lower? for the life of me, i can't do it.

aa

• blackie57
    17 years ago

Cream -

Actually for that bed I DID use a flat edged spade. Just edged the bed with the spade and then used it flat to take out the sod. This leaves the bed about a inch or two lower than the surrounding soil. I make up the difference with the mulch.

A week ago that bed was grass. A lot of my beds I do put a concrete lowing strip around which I get at Lowes. It works pretty well keeping the beds neat and it keeps me from edging each year. Here's a picture so you can see what I mean:

I do admit that I have an electric
    Black&Decker eEgehound, which I use to outline the LARGE beds. But for something as ssmall as this one, the flat spade does the trick !

• blackie57
    17 years ago

In fact, here's a link to the spade I have and use:

Here is a link that might be useful: Lowe's Garden spade

• creamgogo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ok...don't leave me hanging on that black and decker edger. is that what i want to get that crisp edge? i've tried a freakin flat shovel and trench routine...turned out butt ugly and ended up putting the black edging. is this something you do in the spring and are done or do you do it every time you mow?

thanks!

• donn_
    17 years ago

Black & Decker EdgeHog:

• blackie57
    17 years ago

That's my edgehog, fer sure. No cream, I edge in the spring and that's it. If I did it every time I mowed my wife would definately have me committed !! The reason that bed in the photo is so "crisp" is because I just created that bed the day before the photo was taken. Usually in the spring I'll use the edgehog, and then about mid summer use the spade to touch up the edges. I just keep the blade perpendicular and take only a snall amout of the grass, then turn it flat and skim off the turf. Seems to work fine. But the edgehog IS great timesaver and leaves a great edge. you'll still need the spade to take out the turf, but the blade on the hog will give you a nice crisp line.

B57

• creamgogo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

what's that baby gonna set me back....hmmmm...guessing $299.99? pretty cool.

• blackie57
    17 years ago

Nope... maybe $100...I think it was 80-something at Lowes...

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

Blackie, that is one wonderful looking Morning Light. I don't know why but, all of mine are whimpy in comparison. Maybe mine came from smaller parents. Oh, and thank you for reminding me about the edger I had tucked away in the garden shed! I got it out today, sharpened it up and then shrarpened up my edges :o)

A.

• blackie57
    17 years ago

achnatherum -

How old are your ML's ?? That plant is probibly 7 or 8 years old, if I can rememebr correctly. I really want to divide it but it shows no sign of decline, and it hasn't completely outgrown its bounds as yet, so I'll let it fgo for now and when I want to divide it I'll rent a backhoe ;) I think once it gets a "dead center" I'll divide it and then dig out the dead stuff. I have a second one of the same size on the other side of the bed, and when I divide them I'll bet I can get 10 or 12 good size plants.

Ain't power edgers great ?? Saves the old back a bunch. Glad I could jog your memory !

Blackie

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

blackie,
    My ML's are of varying ages. I have some that are probably 10 years old and others that are 2 years old. All are much slower growers than most of my other Miscanthus (excepting cosmopolitain which is only marginally hardy for me here).

I actually like the shape of my M. sinensis 'Gracillimus now that it has quite a large dead center. You don't actually see the center at this time of the year and the grass has a really interesting rounded look. You might think that sounds like I am looking for a reason NOT to divide it. And guess what? .... you'd be right :o)

• blackie57
    17 years ago

My Gracillimus this year has a more "rounded" look to it as well, but I attributed it to the wet spring and early summer we has as opposed to dead center, as this plant is only in its 4th year in my garden. Also, I'm sure this is planted in what is not full sun conditions as the sun sets behind this plant as we are looing at it and the neighbors huge maple and the hedge place it in shade somewhere around 4 in the afternoon. I believe grasses don't begin to develop dead center until much later in their lives, or am I just blowing smoke here ?
    As far as moving things, I think I'm going to have to move the Monarda to the right Northern Sea Oats to the left and daylilies in front, which are getting crowded out by this baby this season. Much easier than trying to move the Gracillimus !! I ALWAYS plant things too close together... ;)

Here's a picture:

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County
More Discussions