Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple Majesty Millet - finding/collecting seeds

Posted by ltheironimus 7 North Texas (lindaheironimus@cableone.net) on
Wed, Jul 30, 08 at 10:14

Can anyone tell me how to find the seed on the Purple Majesty Millet? Mine is starting to put tiny little green things on the outside the plume - which is purple. I'm guessing this is sort of the "flower"?? ..... or is the little green thing the seed?

Can someone give me guidance for collecting and then planting the seeds for next Spring? Will the plumes dry and then I pull the seed? Does the seed need to go through stratification before germination occurs?
Please advise as I'm anxious to grow this grass from seed next year.

Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple Majesty Millet - finding/collecting seeds

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 3, 08 at 13:22

The seeds will be hard to miss. The entire stalk will be covered with small round balls which will turn to a tan then dark brown/purple to blackish color. Leave the seeds to mature (late in the season). You'll know they're ready when you rub your hand over the stalk and the seeds come away fairly easy. Watch that the birds don't eat them all up before you harvest.

o
RE: Purple Majesty Millet - finding/collecting seeds

I didn't know you could grow this from saved seed. Have you grown it from seed? Will the offspring be purple or at least an attractive plant. I love this plant in pots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here