Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Could I put some kind of Grass here?

Posted by jess2132000 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 08 at 11:08

I would like to add some grasses to my landscape further down the fence but do not have alot of room. Would like something that crows tall as a privacy hedge.. In front of my 3 post and rail fence.

Is the area too small?? Any suggestions?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Could I put some kind of Grass here?

I'm guessing that:
- you don't want to hide your lovely gate.
- you don't want anything that grows to wide for the space
- you would like something that would blend with your formal border with the LOVELY roses.
So ...
How about using one of the Calamagrositis arundinacea cultivars. Maybe 'Karl Foerster' or 'Avalanche' or .....
It looks fabulous planted in a group; it is narrow in growth form & it is still one of the best all season ornamental grasses out there.
Here is a planting of 'Karl Foerster' - picture taken this morning in my garden. This year, in bloom, it tops out around 5'4"

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

I would agree with "achnatherum". The upright nature of 'Karl Foerster' or 'Avalanche' or 'Overdam' would be ideal for the setting and give a formal look. If you want a privacy hedge, you could plant two rows and stagger the plants so that visually they form a barrier. There is a new Calamagrostis xacutiflora cultivar called 'Eldorado'. I haven't ordered any "yet" but have them on my list. It's touted to be "decidedly golden" and tolerant to zone 4.
Gej

Here is a link that might be useful: Grasses & Gargoyles

o

A related question: I have approximately 17 feet alongside a garage that faces North. Can anyone suggest types of ornamental grasses I should look for?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here