Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christineny_gw

Hakonechloa Aurea or Gold

christineny
15 years ago

Hi:

I have a very difficult spot to plant and I'm unsure what to do. I have four 20 foot oak trees in a row planted maybe 12 feet outside my kitchen window. Under the trees there is a small slope until the area meets with my grass. It is a span of 17 feet by about 4 feet. I have no clue what to put in that spot since it is mostly shade. (It does get some afternoon sun).

I came up with the idea of planting Hakonechloa Aurea. Unfortunately, my local nursery only has Hakonechloa Gold. Does anyone have any experience with either of these two grasses? Does one look better than another. Should I also plant any ferns/hostas or what combinations look good with these grasses.

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• friesfan1
    15 years ago

I don't know why this would not work in your situation.

I will be planting mine in full sun. Unless I can find a way
    to shade it.

Mary
    z 5b KS

• john_4b
    15 years ago

Both of these grasses will be most happy in the shade, and as long as you can supply cool, evenly moist soils, they will spread slowly. They will grow in full sun, if you can keep them watered, and they will spread faster, but they probably will burn in the heat of the summer sun. They both spread slowly, so a mix of ferns and hostas will help to fill in around the grasses, and will be great companions plants for these grasses too. The 'All Gold' is a brighter yellow color, but also doesn't seem to spread as fast, and stays in a more upright clump remaining shorter, in my experience growing them.

• prairiegirlz5
    15 years ago

john~Do you have to provide any special protection (mulch) in winter? I planted two 'Aureola' one fall that didn't make it; I wonder if I just planted them too late in the year? I've seen conflicting reports of their hardiness. I want to try growing these again, they're so lovely.

christine~It sounds to me as if they would burn; morning sun would be much more preferable than hot afternoon. Hostas and ferns prefer all day shade or part shade as well.

• john_4b
    15 years ago

I would bet that they were just planted too late in the season. I provide no special attention, mulch or protection for winter. I leave the grass up for winter interest and it tends to catch snow, providing some protection I guess. I simply cut down last seasons brown foliage each spring.
    I grow all of these forms; the green Hak. macra, H. macra 'Aureola', H. macra 'All Gold', and H. macra 'Beni-Kaze' and they have been totally hardy for me in zone 4b, H. 'Aureola' for the last 10 years. They prefer part shade, and a moisture retaining but well-draining soil that is rich in organic matter like leaf mold or compost to look their best.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    15 years ago

I would be more concerned with oak trees only 12 feet from a house, and not one but four!! Oaks get very wide, and 12 feet from a house would be close for a small tree like a redbud or dogwood. An oak should be at least 25 feet from a house, and at least that distance from another oak.

Sponsored
More Discussions