Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
connieinmaryland

Ornamental Grasses- are some invasive?

ConnieinMaryland
18 years ago

I'm designing a grass garden for a friend, it backs up to "open space" that is an unmaintained hill going down. I'm concerned whether Miscanthus "Morning Light" would become invasive by its seeds?

Comments (13)

• donn_
    18 years ago

The Color Encyclopedia of Ornamental Grasses by Rick Darke, says that 'Morning Light' is not inclined to self-sow. I think it's because it blooms late, like October, and isn't able to develop viable seeds before cold weather.

• ConnieinMaryland
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Donn. There isn't much I can find about invasiveness in grasses. Should I take it that they aren't unless Darke says they ARE, or they ARE
    unless he says they AREN"T?

• anitamo
    18 years ago

Phalaris arundinacea (ribbon grass) is very invasive. Here's some info...

Here is a link that might be useful: ribbon grass

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

Many ornamental grasses CAN be invasive, however like all other exotic or non-native plants, invasiveness will be defined by region. Don't rely on a book for this - all states have invasive plants listings, some even determined by county. Restrictions regarding the planting of certain plant species will differ from area to area, as will penalties for planting known invasives. Selfseeding or otherwise aggressive growth behaviours are not the same as invasiveness but may be just as worrisome in a garden setting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maryland, invasive species

• ConnieinMaryland
    Original Author
    18 years ago

First of all, thanks everyone, for the help.

Wow- Miscanthus! That invasive species of Maryland site is really good- thanks. I think we'll start with Big Bluestem (Andropogon gerardii) for screening, and then Buffalo Grass (Buchloe dactyloides) on the "path". She wants Hedera helix on the fence- I'm going to try to talk her into a few Clematises instead; there are a few that are purported to be evergreen around here.

• PPennypacker
    18 years ago

ConnieinMaryland -
    There's a great OG book called, Grasses (2002) by Nancy J. Ondra & pics by Saxon Holt.
    FYI
    Best,
    PP

• jake
    18 years ago

You might want to rethink using Buchloe dactyloides in your path. Buffalo grass is not a hardy grass for regular foot traffic. If one can define "regular" in this instance.

Occasional foot traffic shouldn't be a major issue. One plus side of Buffalo grass would be the limited height it reaches.

Generally Buffalo grass is planted in park type situations to eliminate cutting practices. Once established Buffalo grass is very drought tolerant as well.

It will turn brown in drought conditions but will green up when it gets the moisture it needs.

Jake

• ConnieinMaryland
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Jake
    Actually, your experience with Buffalo grass confirms my incination to use it. The path is actually the walkway across the back of the garden, where the condo association requires she leave passage open for firefighters and the like. She doesn't want to do ANY mowing, but doesn't want to encourage anyone to walk by, either.

• dawgie
    18 years ago

I have Miscanthus Morning Light and Adagio in my garden, and neither one of them is invasive. I have not noticed any seedlings from these plants, and they grow in well-contained clumps. The only ornamental grass that I have grown that has been invasive so far is Northern Sea Oats, Chasmanthium latifolia. It doesn't spread by runners, but reseeds fairly heavily. It hasn't been too difficult weeding out the seedlings, but it's not something you can just plant and forget about -- unless you want sea oats growing everywhere.

• donn_
    18 years ago

I had one C. latifolia last year, wintersown. I collected every seed it produced, WS'd them this year, and now I have 12 clumps. It's a great foliage plant, even if you deadhead or collect the seeds. To prevent self-seeding, cut the seedheads, with their stems, when they are ripe, but before they fall. Use them in the house in dried flower arrangements. You can keep them quite a while, and then sow the seeds if you want more plants.

• gillespiegardens
    18 years ago

my miscanthus gracillimus, giganteus and strictus all have sown little volunteers around my gardens. several kinds will do so. pennisetum aloepecuriodes ssp and esp the moudry cultivar are self sowers too, in addition to the northern sea oats
    i dig up and transplant the volunteers or give them away and sometimes i even pitch them as weeds.

Sue
    "The one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow"

• sam_md
    7 years ago

old thread I know....

I was hiking today in a remote part of one of my state's parks. I came upon this clump of grass that I don't recognize. Someone please ID it and tell me about it.

• sam_md
    7 years ago

Kind of a trashy roadbank in Maryland. This stuff is popping up everywhere especially where mowers can't reach. Surely it is Miscanthus and it is becoming a problem.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz