Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this ribbon grass or liriope spicata?

Posted by crystalmt04 zn8 SA, TX (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 30, 10 at 12:08

IMG_1519

I have two of these planted in my front flowerbed, and in researching what kind of grass this is, it seems that either way it's invasive and might take over the bed?

I don't want it to turn into a ground cover where all I see is this stuff. I like the random plants with mulch all around look. They were planted back in April and haven't grown very much at all, should I dig them up?

Also, if I replant them (thinking of a spot right up against the house-a west facing wall where I have trouble growing grass), will it creep into my lawn if I don't make some sort of barrier? Here's a pic of the spot.
IMG_1524

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this ribbon grass or liriope spicata?

• Posted by donn_ 7b, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 30, 10 at 17:39

It looks like some sort of Liriope, which isn't really a grass.

It will spread by rhizomes, but if you plant it in a bottomless pot, buried in the ground, you can keep it where you want it.

It likes moist fertile soil in full sun to part shade. In your zone, afternoon shade would be good.

o

Variegated Liriope is much slower to spread than solid. I would not be worried about it being invasive.

o

Great! I really didn't want to have to dig them up because I like where they are. I was also thinking since it hasn't grown much since planting back in April, that maybe I wouldn't have to worry about it spreading.

Thanks for your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here