Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing Purple Fountain grass seed heads?

Posted by breinhart z7 Central VA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 07 at 12:56

Our purple fountain grass got a head start this season and is in full "bloom". Should we be cutting off the seed heads that have already turned brown or just leave them? Will trimming cause the plant to send up more flowering spikes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing Purple Fountain grass seed heads?

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 11, 07 at 13:00

I've tried it with other Pennisetum, and there was no additional blooming. The only purple variety I've tried deadheading was 'Purple Majesty,' and it added no new blooms.

o

I agree with Donn, deadheading blooms rarely helps promote grasses to bloom more. Cutting back foliage, however, does promote tillering and new basal growth.

My advise though with those beautiful purple fountain grasses is to leave them on their own and let them bloom like crazy in the warm weather.

o

Thanks for the repilies, we will let well enough alone. We have 6 container-grown plants and all started "blooming" much earlier than last year. We really enjoy the foliage and the blooms in the fall months.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here