Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donn_

Anyone growing grasses from plugs?

donn_
17 years ago

Someone on Dave's Garden is doing a co-op buy on ornamental grass plugs, and I popped for 29 plugs:

7 Acorus gramineus 'Minimus Aureus'(I know, it isn't a grass, but close enough)

2 Calamagrostis x acutiflora 'Avalanche'

2 Carex morrowii 'Ice Dance'

7 Imperata cylindrica 'Red Baron'

7 Miscanthus sinensis 'Malepartus'

4 Muhlenbergia capillaris

The plug sizes are 32, 36 and 50.

I've never done this before, but I suspect it's essentially the same process as the clumps of grass I start from seed.

I intend to pot them up when they get here, and then plant them out in early fall, into nursery beds.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments (20)

• grasses2
    17 years ago

I've done it for years.

I only lost a few in the last three years. Last year I planted 332 plugs (trays of 36) and was pleased to find all but 7 made it through the winter.

I planted them in late September which was very late for me to get them in the ground. Although I was worried about the "warm grasses" which didnÂt spring to life early this year, everything looks good again.

A number of them have found new homes since June!

If you go to the web site, all of the nursery grasses were from plugs. Today they are 4'+ and some are going to go to six feet this year.

You should do well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grasses & Gargoyles

• donn_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The 'nursery' looks great, Gej, but I'd love to see some pics of it now. If it's like my grass nursery beds were, it's gotten more crowded. I was still planting out seed-grown grass clumps in November last year, and most survived, but now I've had to dig and pot many of them. Their display beds aren't ready yet. I grew several hundred new ones last year, and a few hundred this year. It's time to concentrate on the beds, and stop adding to the inventory. I sure do envy your acreage. I'm doing this on 2/5 acre.

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

Donn, if the plugs come well rooted it couldn't hurt to plant them out as soon as you get them (as soon as you have the space & the time). I grew my first inventory of Miscanthus cultivars almost entirely from plugs. Planted them in late July, watered with fertilizer geared towards root growth. And then, kept them well watered until they went dormant. I suppose in zone 7 you would have more leeway with planting a bit later ....

Gej,
    I REALLY enjoyed your website. You have some awesome grass plantings. When is the garden tour? :o)

A.

• PollyNY
    17 years ago

Donn, I grow all my grass from plugs. You won't have any problem with them. Be sure to loosen the rootball. If planting in pots I water in with Miracle Gro the first watering. I was a little leery about that co-op. The organizer would not give the website. She said they were from Perennial Market, the largest grass supplier in the country. I have grown grass plugs for over 20 years and have never heard of them, and I can't find anything about them on the internet. Please let me know how they are when you get them. But with your expertise with grasses you will have no problems. Polly

• donn_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Polly, I found the vendor's website, linked below. Their About Us page doesn't work, but the sample tray photos look good, and the availability lists look great. Check out the Hosta list. They aren't all available, but they have quite a list.

Here is a link that might be useful: Perennial Market

• PollyNY
    17 years ago

Donn, thanks for the link. They are a division of Garys Perennials, which is supposed to be a very good source. I have never purchased from them, as they are a little high for wholesale, but I expect they will be really good plugs. However, I don't know where it came from that they had the largest number of grass plugs, but they don't come anywhere near Kurt Bluemel. But they do have a good selection, and they should be good. Polly

• jskeyes2
    17 years ago

Where exactly are you all buying your plugs from? I have searched and searched and have not found a reasonable site that will sell plugs without you being a wholesaler. Any tips would be helpful.

• donn_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

js..I think you'll find that most growers will sell to anyone, if you meet their minimums. Essentially, they don't care what you do with the plugs after you buy them. Most, but not all, growers require you to buy solid flats, that is a full flat of one variety, because they don't want to increase their labor in handling. This is where the co-ops come in. The organizer of the co-op buys solid flats, and divides them up to suit the requests of the subscribers.

The co-op I mentioned above is now on hold pending the end of the current heat wave. The grower won't ship in this kind of hot weather. To me, that's a good sign that it's a reputable grower, but it's also a sign that the co-op organizer is somewhat disorganized. She should have known, before collecting our money, that there would be a delay in shipping.

• jskeyes2
    17 years ago

Thanks donn - I guess I need to browse Dave's Garden to get into one of those.

By the way - I got a couple of Ice Dance last year - they grew about 5 times their size this season and I am really impressed with their varigated look.

• friesfan1
    17 years ago

Hi,
    I am just getting in on this thread, and was wondering
    how one buys a plug tray?
    Since I have never seen anything like this I am curious
    as to how it works.

Take the first item on the Grasses list as an example.

Acorus g. 'Oborozuki' 36 $1.08
    77.76 ??

Any input would be useful.
    Thanks,
    Mary z5b KS

Here is a link that might be useful: Perennial Market

• donn_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's how I read it, Mary. Add the cost of packaging and freight to the total cost. Most will charge a box fee, which frequently covers 4 trays.

• friesfan1
    17 years ago

Thanks Donn,
    I just wish I could shell out that much $$ right now.
    Mary z5b KS

• donn_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I thought I'd update what turned into a nightmare of an experience. I ordered and payed in mid-July, and the plugs arrived at the coop organizer's home in Illinois in early August. Here's what they looked like at her house on August 4:

I received my plugs today. All except the Acorus are in awful shape. Some will not survive, but I think I can nurse most to health. An incredible combination of excuses accompanied the delay in the organizer shipping the plugs out, and she has many many people threatening legal action against her.

So here's my plan:

They're sitting in shallow water right now, and I'll start potting them up in 300's this afternoon. I'm going to cut off all dead foliage, but leave the rest be for now. I'll keep them in the indirect light of the carport for a week or two, and just take them outside to get whatever light rain we may get. After a week or so, I'll give them a very dilute dose of compost tea, and start hardening them off with more and more time outside.

They'll stay in the pots this fall, and I'll bury the pots in nursery beds for the winter.

Any other suggestions for my O*G*M*A*S*H will be appreciated.

• rosewomann
    17 years ago

Nobody on the Mid Atlantic Gardening forum has been able to overwinter Muhlenbergia capillaris. I know cause I asked;-)

Mine died & the one I got seeds from died. If I were you, I'd put them in all different locations to increase your odds.

Rose

• donn_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good idea, Rose, although, depending on what info source you use, it's supposed to be hardy to zone 5. It occurs naturally in MA, so I'm fairly confident. I'm pushing it with Nassella tenuissima and Carex comans as well.

• creamgogo
    17 years ago

what does one do with that many plants of one kind?

• donn_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Plant in masses and drifts.

• PollyNY
    17 years ago

Donn, those sure were beautiful plants when they got to Jody's. What a shame to have had them sit around and not take care of them. Do you have any pictures of when you received them?

Ornamental grasses are so easy to take care of. I've even overwintered trays of them like that. I just can't understand how she let that happen. And she wants to start a nursery?

• donn_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I didn't photograph them, Polly. Some of them have nothing to take a pic of. I potted them up after teasing out the roots, and cutting off ratty foliage. The Acorus and Carex are fine, but were terribly potbound. The others range from ok to no worthwhile foliage at all, but the all appeared to have viable root systems. If the weather stays warm, they should regenerate some foliage before winter.

• PollyNY
    17 years ago

Well, if anyone can bring them back, it will be you!

Sponsored