Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Containing, restraining, restricting Horsetail Equisetum Hyemale

Posted by greginmich 6a (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 9, 06 at 14:48

I am interested in planting horsetail next to a swimming pool but I am concerned about its invasiveness. I have several large boulders at the deep end of the pool and I would like to contain the equisetum hyemale to an area just behind the boulders. What I need to know is how deep the root barrier must be to prevent spreading. A woman at a local nursery (which did not have any to sell) told me 4" is all that is required but I am skeptical of this advice. Does anyone have any direct experience? I know it is not a grass but some of the ornamental grass books mention it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Containing, restraining, restricting Horsetail Equisetum Hyem

Mine grew under a barrier about 4". I dug it all up and started anew with it planted in large pots in the pool. I was surprised how deep the roots grew.

o

Reading through some of the other discussions here, it would seem that this stuff is extremely hard to control once it escapes. One person said it goes as far as 36" deep, so 4" is not gonna cut it. I would recommend that the only way to truly control it is with a closed bottom barrier. Even a small drainage hoLe in a pot is enough for it to escape. A large, closed bottom terra cotta pot buried with the top inch or so above ground seems like a good bet. DO NOT LET IT GROW FREE IN THE GROUND OR YOU WILL LIKELY REGRET IT!

o

Mine is scraggly and pathetic in a pot. Go figure....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here