Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phelansmom

Miscanthus 'Gold Bar' foliage curled up after planting?

phelansmom
15 years ago

Recently planted a Miscanthus 'Gold Bar' in a sunny location, made sure it was watered etc..but by nightfall I was horrified to see the foliage had curled up and the beautifully colored foliage had turned brown!

Anybody have any ideas as to what happened and if this beauty can still be salvaged?

Comments (6)

• dereks
    15 years ago

Was the plant root bound when you planted? Did you loosen the roots at all? Check to make sure water is getting to the roots. Grasses are pretty tough. I think with a little care, the grass will be alright.

• jean001
    15 years ago

Full sun plants can't tolerate full sun until their roots grow into the surrounding soil. So, rig some temporary shade.

• sjean13
    15 years ago

Hello there, I just wanted to say that I purchased some of this about a month ago and took FOREVER to plant it. Time got away from me and that poor little potted gold bar didnt' get watered enough. Soo, it dried up and the foliage curled up at the ends. I planted it and have been giving it lots of water to catch up and there are some green pieces coming back now. I bet after awhile of watering well it should be ok. It may just be shock and perhaps lack of water in combo with too much sun. good luck!

• taco_truck
    13 years ago

Sorry to resurrect a 2-year-old thread, but the very same thing happened to my gold bar plants, where I may have waited too long to put two container plants in the ground and the leaves turned yellow and curled up. I thought I ought to water them more but was cautioned against overwatering and assured that they'll spring back to life once in the ground. Well, I planted them finally a few days ago and now want to give them the best care to hurry along this supposed springing back. How much water should they be getting, what time of day, and for how long? They are in full sun -- should I rig a temporary shade as one poster suggested, and again, for how long? Any other advice?

Incidentally, I also have a pink muhly that went from green to yellow in the time between when I got the container plant to putting it in the ground. Any separate advice for that guy? Thank you.

• donn_
    13 years ago

In your zone I don't think you can water a brand new transplant grass too much. I'd do it at least once a day, in the morning. Partial shade won't hurt either, for a few weeks..especially this time of year. Just set a lawn chair over them.

The same instructions apply to the Muhlenbergia.

• taco_truck
    13 years ago

Thank you, donn. Just went and did what you suggested. It took me about a month from when i got the 1-gallon containers of gold bar and pink muhly to when I put them in the ground, at which point, they have turned mostly yellow. Will give an update for anyone else who may have this same situation in the future and do a search in the forum as to how long the grasses will take to recover with the shade and twice daily watering.

Sponsored
More Discussions