Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moudry vs. Hamelin Pennisetum - what's the diff?

Posted by growitnow (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 18, 09 at 15:45

Hello,

Can those of you who have grown both Hamelin and Moudry offer a compare and contrast? I'm having a tough time deciding based on web/pics, etc.

I know the darker plumes of Moudry but can you inform on color (is one nicer green than the other), height/size of grass clump (excluding plumes), think vs. thick leaves, etc.

Basically..what's it look like :)

Thanks for any input,
growitnow
zone 7, Virginia in Richmond area

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moudry vs. Hamelin Pennisetum - what's the diff?

• Posted by donn_ 7b, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 19, 09 at 6:21

They look very different from one another.

'Hameln' is a smaller plant, generally 2' x 2' in size, with ~1/4" wide leaves. It tends to hold it's flowers higher off the plant, and blooms earlier than 'Moudry.' It is a lighter green color, and looks more like a traditional Fountain Grass in habit.

'Moudry' is larger (3' x 3') and has ~1/2" wide dark green leaves. It's habit is more like a mound or tussock than a fountain, and it's flowers are larger and darker in color, and held more closely into the foliage.

They are both great grasses, but if you grew them side-by-side, you wouldn't think they were in the same species.

o
RE: Moudry vs. Hamelin Pennisetum - what's the diff?

Moudry also has a bad reputation for self-sowing vigorously in warmer zones (yours) and Moudry is not nearly as hardy in the colder zones (zone 5 & down). That said, I love the leaves on Moudry, very swishy :o)
A.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here