Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donn_

Grass tests

donn_
13 years ago

Thanks to incredibly low prices during the Santa Rosa Gardens clearance sale last year, I was able to cheaply buy several grasses which were at or out of my zone in hardiness.

I tried 3 each of Pennisetum 'Prince' and 'Princess.' All 6 grew like weeds after being planted out in early July. 4 of them were installed in a full sun bed adjacent to my blacktop driveway, which is the warmest ground I have. The coldest temperature we reached was 14F, so we had a zone 8 winter. All 6 died.

5 Pennisetum 'PennStripe.' Supposedly hardy to zone 7. All 5 grew well after planting, but all 5 died.

10 Carex trifolda 'Rekohu Sunrise.' Also hardy to zone 7. I planted 5 in full sun and 5 in half-sun locations. They grew well, but looked very ratty after the winter, so I cut them back. 2 died, 3 reverted to all green and 5 are fine.

Comments (5)

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I did not know about 'Penn Stripe' I love it.

I have lost Pennisetum 'Rubrum' multiple times here and I'm zone 8. I lost it in the greenhouse this past winter but I'm sure that was lack of water rather than cold. The greenhouse is heated.

I just bought two 'Fireworks' from Santa Rosa but I'll keep them in my greenhouse this winter, I'm certain they won't be hardy.

I have orientale, 'Karley Rose', 'Little Bunny' and
    'Little Honey' and all have made it through multiple winters with no protection even in pots.

• terrene
    13 years ago

I bought my first ornamental grasses 5 years ago, which included 2 Miscanthus 'Adagio'. They were in large pots and probably $30 each. They grew beautifully and I loved them but they were dead as a doornail the next Spring. They might have survived in a sheltered spot here in zone 5/6, but they were growing in a harsh exposed location.

The other Miscanthus cultivars I've tried ('Variegatus', 'Gracillimus' and 'Purpurascens') have proved hardy.

• newbie_2007
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info. Humber Nurseries tell me Pennisetum is not hardy here. Know someone who has had great success with it in same zone. Think it must be conditions too. Maybe less wind and some sun/shade on a deck could alter the specified zone.
    Planted PFG a few weeks ago. It doesn't seem to be doing anything. Does it need a kick start?

• tpot528_aol_com
    12 years ago

I am moving from Zone 7 to zone 5 and am wondering if i can grow ornamental grasses there?... I Love the look of them so much.

• donn_
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tpot...there are lots of ornamental grasses you can grow.

Spend some time looking at Bluestem.ca - I've linked their Ornamental Grass Comparison Chart below. They specialize in grasses for cold climates, and their site has oodles of information and photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ornamental Grass Comparison Chart

Sponsored
More Discussions