Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krystine_gw

Ordered some grass... advice please

krystine
15 years ago

I just ordered a few gallon pots of miscanthus giganteus online (because I couldn't find it *anywhere* in my area) and then realized, 1) it's July, not a great time to try to get new plants established and 2) We're going away for the last 2 weeks of July and no one's going to be around to babysit these plants.

Should I call and cancel my order?

Thanks in advance,

Kristine

Comments (12)

• achnatherum
    15 years ago

Kristine,
    I don't think that July is too late to get new grasses established. In my opinion it is too late to dig & divide but, I have been successful with potted grasses right up until the fall. However, two weeks in July without any water could be tough if we ever get some hot summer weather.
    Where are you in zone 5 Ontario? Maybe I could help you find some M. Giganteus locally so that you can get them when you get back from holidays.
    A.

• krystine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for replying, it's much appreciated :)

I live in the Barrie area, and every nursery I've contacted says their supplier hasn't sent them any miscanthus giganteus yet... that's why I ordered online. Too bad my "gotta have that grass now" side of me clouded my common sense!

I'll call the place I ordered it from on Monday morning and see if I can't get them to delay shipping until I return. If not, it's on to "Plan B," which is digging a trench in the shade, throwing the plants in and making sure I've got a hose on a timer watering that area while I'm away. If anyone else has another suggestion for "Plan B', let me know :)

Kristine

• achnatherum
    15 years ago

I think that your plan B sounds good.
    I'm not from your area BUT; last summer I saw M. giganteus (aka floridus) for sale at Gratrix Garden Lilies which is up near Coldwater - not so far away from you in Barrie. You might give them a try.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gratrix Garden Lilies

• grass_guy
    15 years ago

Kristine, I'm with Acnatherum on this. I don't mind planting year-round, but you've got to pay attention during the first 2 to 3 weeks as they establish. If they get regular watering, they should be fine...plan 'b' should get you that.

My guess is that if a local supplier doesn't have them for summer, they won't have them until next spring.

• krystine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to all :)

Plants have been shipped... plan B will have to do ;) I'll make sure a timer's set up and pray the grass is pretty resilient!

Thanks!

Kristine

• grasses2
    15 years ago

Kristine ~
    I just received 32 Miscanthus xgiganteus. I'll plant them this week. Having planted Miscanthus xgiganteus during the same time period and had 100% success, have no fear of planting during the "summer". Plan "B" will be fine. Enjoy your vacation and you will find your plants ready to be replanted when you return. If you were closer, I'd volunteer to give your plants a drink while you are gone. One thing to remember - Make sure you give the xgiganteus room to grow. Mine reach over 10 feet and that's before they flower. The deer don't even try to go through the xgiganteus. They don't eat them either.
    Gej

Here is a link that might be useful: Grasses & Gargoyles

• krystine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Gej :) I'm sure excited about this grass... I hope mine reaches 10 feet too!

• sharont
    15 years ago

I actually found some Miscanthus giganticus on sale last August. Planted it in a fairly dry spot, watered it a couple of times and forgot about it. It was slow to get established of course but this year it is taking off on it's own (lots of rain this year).
    So if you dont get your sprinkler sytem set up before you leave, plant them in their spots in the week before you go away, mulch with anything handy and you will have surviving plants when you return. Soaking well in a bucket of water, roots out of the pot, before planting will give them a head start too!
    Sharon also near Barrie

• krystine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Sharon :)

One thing I've learned... plants are soooo resilient! I picked up my plants today from the post office, they'll go in the ground tomorrow :) I'm so excited!

• brianclark8921
    15 years ago

Hi Kristine,

In Barrie too...lol...just wondering where you ordered from....looking to order some for father-in-law....also...do the gallon pots divide, or is there only one plant per pot?

• krystine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Brian :)

I ordered from Canning Perennials, link at the bottom of this post. Ugh. I just checked their website... if I'd have waited I could've saved 50%. They now have a buy 1 get 1 free sale. *sigh*

Anyhoo, the plants didn't come in pots. They were packaged well, the rootball was moist, wrapped in newspaper and then placed in a plastic bag. The box was stuffed with newspaper. The plants are approx. 6" in diameter.

Now it's going to bug me that I spent full price. Argh :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning Perennials

• krystine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I forgot to answer the dividing question... I suppose they could be divided, I thought about it, but was afraid to push my luck as I'm already plunking them in the ground and going away for 2 weeks. I didn't want to stress them further.

Sponsored
More Discussions