Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
syllabus

ornamental grasses & mosquitoes

syllabus
16 years ago

Hoping someone out there can help me find out if something is true or not.

I belong to a pool at a nearby recreational center. Some of the members are complaining this year about mosquitoes being a problem in a particular seating area. One member is insisting that they are mainly being harbored in a large varied stand of ornamental grasses that are near the problem area. (These grasses are at the back of a slope covered w/ other perennial flowers & are helping to control erosion issues.) This member has taken some biology courses & claims to have worked w/ marine biologists in Florida. He says that they found down there that mosquitoes dwell on the backside of the blades of these grasses which turn w/ the sun.

Now there are a LOT of places around this problem area that can be harboring these mosquitoes: the usual issue w/ drains, areas of puddled water, a large natural body of still water nearby, etc........

Nope. He insists that all of these ornamental grasses be removed. I'm just trying to find out if this is a significant enough source of the problem. We can deal w/ some of the other sources & some are out of our control. Anyone have any data &/or experience to back up his claim? I'm off to google around a bit. It will be interesting to find out if this is true.

Thank you!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH
More Discussions