Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve1young

Miscanthus 'Dixieland'

steve1young
14 years ago

Is anyone else using this great grass?

I'm a big fan of the look of regular-size Maiden Grass, but I'm not a big fan of having to wrestle the monsters out of the ground every few years and cut out the dead interior and divide them. I'm a big guy and still, that's one heck of a job.

I find that 'Dixieland' is really great for a smaller stature, variegated Maiden Grass. It gets only about 5-feet tall (flowers at about 6-feet) and it never seems to get too thick and dead in the center (at least not for my garden conditions).

Granted, it flops in winter but the way I've been solving that problem is to put 4 48-inch rebar stakes in the ground around the grass and tie the grass so that you barely notice the rebar/twine, but the bars provide great winter support. In the spring/late winter when I cut down the grass I replace the 48-inch rebar with 12-inch rebar as place holders until it's late summer and time to put in the 48-inch rebar again.

I'm not sure how available 'Dixieland' is, but if you find it and try it, I hope you like it!

Happy gardening!

Comment (1)

• donn_
    14 years ago

I just got a couple of 'Dixieland' from Santa Rosa's clearance sale. They were a bit pot-bound, but I moved them into trade gallons, and opened up the roots, so I have high hopes for them.

The next time you are faced with dividing a large Miscanthus, try this. Using a very sharp spade, cut your divisions out of the crown while it's still in the ground. Take them from the perimeter, where the good new growth is. Once you've whittled away all the good parts from the outside, the dead/dying center will be much smaller.

Another technique for supporting flopping grasses is to use rebar stakes, with remesh panels wired horizontally between them. The grass grows up through the remesh and effectively hides the entire support. Install the stakes right at the edges of the crowns, and the remesh at the appropriate height. The crown will expand around the rebar stakes, but they are easily removed and relocated the following spring.

I'm gradually moving to smaller Miscanthus cultivars, and included 'Mysterious Maiden,' (more)'Gold Bar,' 'Little Kitten,' 'Stardust' and 'Adagio' in my order, in addition to 'Dixieland.'

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions