Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
porcupine ornamental grass...what to do?

Posted by cgw1 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 18:37

Hi experts,
It is hot and dry here in zone 6, Ontario and I have a question. I have a new bed ready for plants and I want a porcupine O.G. in there. If I plant it now (water well), will it get a head start and be bigger next summer or would it be the same if I waited until cooler September weather?

I am anxious for this specimen to be WOW, but can wait to plant/transplant the other items until fall.

Thank you for your help and I WILL listen.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: porcupine ornamental grass...what to do?

If you plant it now, and give it serious TLC, it will be larger next year than if you plant it in September. Serious TLC means not only watering it religiously, but giving it shade from hot mid-day sun, and possible even misting it during really hot weather.

How much bigger? Only a little bit.

Is it worth the effort? Probably not.

o

Thank you donn,
I suspected the same and will wait until fall to buy and plant.

o

In your climate, I'd recommend against a fall planting. Miscanthus is a warm season grass and root growth halts as soon as soil temperatures cool. This makes it difficult to get established before the cold and wet of winter and fall planted miscanthus often fail from root rot or cold damage.

Better to plant now, taking appropriate measures donn has outlined, or wait until spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here