Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maiden grass dying?

Posted by tariah83 TN (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 18:42

I bought 20 maiden grasses about 9 months ago and put them in mulched plant beds. They made it through fall and winter fine, grew like crazy in spring, but now about a quarter of the grasses look like they are dying. They are all in random places around the home and they aren't dying all in one location... more like 1 is dying on each side of the house. We've had a ridiculous amount of rain this summer and wondering if they are dying from overwatering? The only other thing I can think of is I hired someone to put down some weed killer (Snapshot) and maybe there was some overspray? Although I have rose bushes right next to the dying grasses that are doing beautifully so I am doubtful of the weedkiller being the cause. I posted one picture on this forum and posted a link to more pictures of all the other grasses on my property (a few dying and one showing a healthy one).

Here is a link that might be useful: More photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maiden grass dying?

It's impossible to tell what is killing your Miscanthus from your photos, but something is.

Google "Miscanthus Blight," and see if the close-up photos resemble a close look at your most infected plants.

If it does, get rid of the infected plants, completely. Replace the soil they were in with new soil, and start over.

o
RE: Maiden grass dying?

I took one plant that was pretty much dead to a local nursery and they said the same thing: Miscanthus blight. So I have since dug them all up (along with my day lilies that were looking awful as well.. although I don't know if flowers are susceptible to the blight) and plan on spraying heavily with fungicide before attempting to replant new grasses. I found out that I likely got it from the new mulch I had laid down this last month being infested with it... *grumble*. Anyhow, thanks for the advice.

This post was edited by tariah83 on Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 17:05

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here