Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blepharneuron trichelepis or Schizachyrium scoparium 'Blaze'

Posted by coloradobird (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 7, 06 at 18:45

Does anybody know anything about this grass? I can't find anything about it on the Internet, except for the place I originally found it (High Country Gardens--will put the link below). It looks attractive in the photo and seems like a nice size. I thought I might add a smaller grass as a transition between the larger grasses (Pancium virgatum 'Heavy Metal' and Calamagrostis 'Overdam') and the perennial flowers and little shrubs.

I am also considering Schizachyrium scoparium 'Blaze.'

Either would be the right size. Or, if there is something better, feel free to make recommendations.

Thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blepharneuron trichelepis (Mountain Mist Grass)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blepharneuron trichelepis or Schizachyrium scoparium 'Blaze'

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 7, 06 at 19:04

Unless my sense of scale is way off, you wouldn't see much of a shorter grass behind that Juniper.

o

No, Donn, you're right--it would only be visible when one walked out into the yard. Therefore, not as important as the tall grasses, but I wanted to fill that space.

o

Would you be able to grow either of these grasses on the 'lean' side in this position? I see that is what they recommend for the Blepharneuron ~ which looks quite interesting.
Schizachyrium scoparium is one of my all season favorites but, only since I planted it where it gets the poor conditions it desires. Before that it always flopped just when it came into bloom.

o

Achnatherum, the soil is neither lean nor very rich. I guess if I didn't put any compost in when planting, it would be leaner than otherwise. It is not all that well-drained, but not terrrible, either. Sounds like I have an iffy situation for these, but they might be worth a try. We naturally have clay here, but this is a raised bed, so it's a little better.

Thanks ofr your reply.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here