Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Muhlenbergia capillaris in Zone 5 USDA

Posted by barb_from_london 6a (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 20, 07 at 18:58

I was curious if anyone in Zone 5 USDA has had any success overwintering Gulf Muhly grass (Muhlenbergia capillaris). I just saw some photos of it in the Park Seed Catalogue (a plant, unfortunately, so it would be prohibitively expensive to bring their cultivar into Canada) and it is GORGEOUS. And if anyone happened to have any seed of it and was willing to share...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Muhlenbergia capillaris in Zone 5 USDA

Barb,
I agree - it is an absolutely gorgeous grass.

I 'have' tried it in zone 5 - south of you near St. Thomas. I grew it in a pot & overwintered it in our garage which we keep around +1C..... total failure.

Sorry I didn't keep any seed.
a.

o

Thanks for the feedback - now I can assure myself it's not going to be the centerpiece of my renovated front bed... Just curious though as to where you tracked down the plant and/or seeds. I'm wondering if it grows quickly enough to be useable as an annual grass here or not. (Hope never dies!)

o

Barb,
Sorry, I have been gone from the forum for a while - trying to get our house & garden ready to sell...

Shhh.... I got my seed from a seed swap with a gardener in the US. And, no it was not quick for me from seed but then I only had two seedlings to work with. Might be worth giving a try BUT you could get an 'almost' similar effect with an Eragrostis.
a.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here