Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just a Question

Posted by aman17 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 08 at 20:07

If I cut my grass back in the fall would it make a difference when it comes back in the following spring?Thanks for any info you can give me
arnie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just a Question

I would wait until spring. I have a Ravenna grass that I have had for years. Last fall I cut it back and it is not doing well at all this year. I guess there could be other reasons why it's not doing so well this year but from now on I'm cutting back only in spring.

o

Don't forget how much winter interest grasses can offer!

Here is a link that might be useful: Miscanthus in winter

o

Thanks for posting that pic Grass_guy...there has been some differences of opinion about whether it is ok to cut ornamental grasses in the fall. Most of those who feel it doesn't matter are in zones which receive very little, if any, snow.

In areas which receive quite a bit of snowfall/ice cover in the winter, it is fairly important to leave them standing.

The picture provided above shows the snow lying on top of the stems, while not covering the root base of the plants. Ornamental grass roots need to be kept on the dry side during the winter months and if they are sheared, the snow can settle down and keep the area moist for quite some time. This can easily lead to root rot and destroy some, if not all, of the clump.

I never cut mine back until spring and they all thrive.

Hope that provides a bit of insight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here