Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
American Beach Grass or Feral Lawn?

Posted by edlincoln 6A (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 21:47

Is this American Beach Grass or escaped lawn? It is very green now, in an uncharacteristically hot and wet late July in Zone 6, Turns ugly brown in early Fall. The spot is too steep to mow. Moderately high grass, gets lots of salt spray but is never flooded. Grows on a mixture of sand and gravel. Avoids the steep clay parts of the embankments.

Als wondering if I should supplement by overseeding with Little Blue Stem or Sea Oats.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: American Beach Grass or Feral Lawn?

More:

These seem to have cylindrical stalks.

o

Based on the seed heads, there is definitely ABG in there, but there are at least one, and maybe two others as well.

Little Bluestem wouldn't hurt, but C. latifolium might take over the whole space.

o

Thanks donn_

What's C. Latifolium? Is that Sea Oats?

Would it really crowd out established grass in Zone 6 winters? I suppose it's good I haven't found a good source of it, then.

I'm looking for something decorative for further erosion control, that can fill in the bare sandy and clay patches on the embankment.

o

Chasmanthium latifolium = Northern Sea Oats

It's hardy to zone 3, and naturalizes with wild abandon. It can reach 4-5' in height, and sometimes flops in heavy rain. Any shorter plant material will have quite a struggle living under it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here