Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting directions for Miscanthus & Pennisetum?

Posted by amna 6 (MA) (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 08 at 21:50

Hello everyone,

Tomorrow I will put 3 each of:
Miscanthus sinensis zebrinus (gallon pot)
Pennisetum orientale Karly Rose (quart/half gallon pot?)
Pennisetum orientale Hameln (quart/half gallon pot)
into the ground in my small front yard. I was wondering if anyone has planted these grasses in zone 6 and if so could you please tell me what the ideal spacing should be between the grasses? For example, my husband thinks the miscanthus can be planted about 2 feet apart? Is that enough or will they suffocate? Also I think the pennisetums get wider than tall? How far apart should I put each of those from one another? Also is it OK to plant at the same depth that they are sprouting from in the pot?

I wanted to use the miscanthus close to the house more like a foundation planting and for the pennisetums, I wanted to plant them as a mixed clump in the middle of the yard so they are more free standinding. Does that sound like a good idea? Any other suggestions or advice is very welcome. Hope I won't kill them all in the process.

TIA,
Amna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting directions for Miscanthus & Pennisetum?

I'm sure you have these grasses in the ground already, but I would plant the miscanthus at least six feet apart. That's just my opinion. I like seeing each stand of grass.

Pennisetums can get a bit wide. I would give them four feet of space.

o

• Posted by amna 6 (MA) (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 28, 08 at 20:36

Thanks for you response, dereks.
I had already put them in the ground but luckily managed to get the spacing pretty much as you recommended. So thanks again. They're doing pretty well so far. The Karly rose seems really floppy though - pretty much all the plumes are dragging on the ground? Don't quite know what to do about that but we shall see what happens.

Amna

o

Don't judge Karly quite yet. Give her another year and I'm sure she will look much better. Remember no ferts and don't amend your soil too much. Grasses tend to flop with too much fertilizer and rich soils.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here