Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ornamental grass with a arching habit

Posted by cnjrojas z6 PA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 8, 05 at 22:20

Hello,

I am a novice. I am trying to identify an ornamental grass so that I can purchase it and plant it in my garden. It is only about 3 feet tall and it has very arching dark green leaves. It looks like a mop top. In the fall it gets the most beautiful cream color plumes. Any ideas as to what this is ... or how to identify it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ornamental grass with a arching habit

sounds like a Miscanthus type... Maiden grass or Gracilimus is the most common

most get bigger than 3 feet when well planted, but there are dwarf forms

o

See if this is the one you are speaking of
.www.hostas.com/grasses/gallery/grass-26.html
It could be a Miscanthus, but from the height I would suspect a Pennisetum. There are many types of both, so you will have to do some looking.

o

yeah you are probably right, a "Fountain Grass" Pennisetum... they do look like big mops, they get fuzzy round plumes

o

Noki and PollyNY, thank you for your suggestions. It is not fountain grass... or gracillimus. The plumes are much different than fountain grass.

o

Can you post a picture?

o

• Posted by Jake z4b-5 NE (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 11, 05 at 9:29

Try Molinia - Moor grass. There are several of the Molinia that are in the 3' "mop-top" appearance.

This grass family is not really spoken of on this forum but it is a grass that even I need to get more of in my plantings.

As a side note there is a Molinia "Karl Foerster" that is mounding and the flowers stick up, like fireworks shooting up and away, that is totally awesome compared to the Calamagrostis "Karl Foerster" one of the sentinel at the gate grasses.

Jake

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here