Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mexican Feather Grass in the midwest US

Posted by noki (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 22:23

I bought a Nassella tenuissima, Mexican Feather grass. Never seen it before, very fine and cute. In central Ohio.

Label said zone 6 but hates to be wet in winter. So it will likely die unless it has great drainage? Of course, it could be under a foot of snow at some point.

How likely will this die? Should it even be left in the ground, or just throw it in a pot if I want it to survive? And is it possible to be weedy in Ohio, by seed? I assume no, but it is said to be very weedy in warmer drier areas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mexican Feather Grass in the midwest US

I never have to buy new ones in my zone, because it self-seeds with wild abandon. It's easy for me to pull, so if it volunteers somewhere I don't want it, it's easy to get rid of it. I move at least a dozen volunteers a year. I like it in pots.

o
RE: Mexican Feather Grass in the midwest US

I'm not sure about that "wet in winter" restriction......PNW winters are notoriously wet and this plant thrives. In fact, it is borderline invasive. "Weedy" doesn't begin to describe it!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here