Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendation for reddish or purplish grass

Posted by danell 7 OR (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 27, 10 at 0:53

Greetings, I just bought my first house last year and am landscaping the yard (I've never had a garden until now either - chuckle). Starting from the center and working out I plan to put a triad of tall narrow conifers (Juniperus V. Monbells) around a tiered fountain. Joe Pyeweed between the conifers, Chamecyparis Dwarf Golden Mop one each side. A Phorium Tenax next to fountion, Kobold Liatris, Iberis Candytuft and Ameria Seathrift too. At the very outer edges will likely be Japanese Snowbell trees, one on each end. Can you see it?

Now I need recommendations for an ornamental grass that will look good with the gold and blue tones to take over the show when Joe Pye dies down around Aug or Sep. Preferably not invasive and at least 4 feet tall to use at the back of border. Any suggestions? I thought red or purple would look good but am open to other suggestions.

I have clay soil, Ph 7-7.5, summer temperatures reach into the 90s and triple digits, yard faces west so lots of sun. I already have Japanese Blood Grass, Pennisetum Karly Rose, Morining light Miscanthus, Bowles Golden Carex, Silver Dragon Liriope, and Mondo Grass I put in last year around a dry creek bed. I lost the Pink Muhly over the winter - Boo Hoo it was so Beautiful! I may try it again but be sure to cover with straw in winter, I'm learning.

Thanks for any tips.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendation for reddish or purplish grass

• Posted by donn_ 7b, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 27, 10 at 12:26

Miscanthus sinensis var. purpurascens
Panicum virgatum 'Rotstrahlbusch'
Panicum virgatum 'Shenandoah'
Panicum virgatum 'Squaw'

o

Thanks Don. It is so hard to tell by looking at pics on the internet. Guess I'll have to get up from this computer and go visit some nurseries this Fall. I like the Panicum virgtums, pretty and less invasive than Miscanthus sinensis.

Appreciate your chiming in.

o

Miscanthus sinensis 'Purpurascens' would be my recommendation. It doesn't get very large. My clump in Zone 5B stays between 3-4 feet tall, about 1.5 foot around, and doesn't sprawl. There's a picture on the blog page below, but the red color gets much deeper later in the fall than this picture was taken.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flame Grass blog on Garden Musings

o

Very nice professorroush, thank you. I doubt I would have discovered this on my own. I think this is just the ticket I was looking for.

o
Are you in OR?

I just divided my Miscanthus sinensis var. purpurascens and have half a dozen potted into one gallon pots if you would like them, send me an email. I am in SE Portland.

o

Panicum Shenandoah has red highlights in the foliage almost from the beginning of the season, with the red increasing with more weeks of heat, and then getting a further boost in the fall - at least here in southern NH. The red color is heat-driven, so there will be less of it in cooler years and/or cooler climates. It's a definite beauty here for folks who want the deep red.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here