Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danell_hiltz

Recommendation for reddish or purplish grass

Danell Hiltz
13 years ago

Greetings, I just bought my first house last year and am landscaping the yard (I've never had a garden until now either - chuckle). Starting from the center and working out I plan to put a triad of tall narrow conifers (Juniperus V. Monbells) around a tiered fountain. Joe Pyeweed between the conifers, Chamecyparis Dwarf Golden Mop one each side. A Phorium Tenax next to fountion, Kobold Liatris, Iberis Candytuft and Ameria Seathrift too. At the very outer edges will likely be Japanese Snowbell trees, one on each end. Can you see it?

Now I need recommendations for an ornamental grass that will look good with the gold and blue tones to take over the show when Joe Pye dies down around Aug or Sep. Preferably not invasive and at least 4 feet tall to use at the back of border. Any suggestions? I thought red or purple would look good but am open to other suggestions.

I have clay soil, Ph 7-7.5, summer temperatures reach into the 90s and triple digits, yard faces west so lots of sun. I already have Japanese Blood Grass, Pennisetum Karly Rose, Morining light Miscanthus, Bowles Golden Carex, Silver Dragon Liriope, and Mondo Grass I put in last year around a dry creek bed. I lost the Pink Muhly over the winter - Boo Hoo it was so Beautiful! I may try it again but be sure to cover with straw in winter, I'm learning.

Thanks for any tips.

Comments (6)