Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grovegreenguy

Move 'Over'dam, Avalanche is here!

FrozeBudd_z3/4
19 years ago

WOW, am I ever impressed with Avalanche and it's bolder and brigher variegation! I can hardly wait for it to become fully established! Though, don't get me wrong, Overdam is still very worthy! Terry

Comments (19)

• Pudge 2b
    19 years ago

I'm looking forward to finding Avalanche and adding it to my yard. Hopefully next year I'll come across it. Wonderful that some of these lovely trouble-free grasses are hardy enough to survive our zones.

• numbnerve
    19 years ago

GREAT foliage, blaa plumes. Still, looks like a keeper. =)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Pudge, I just really got into grasses here a few years ago and indeed it's great to see there are many in which can take our nasty winters!

• Pudge 2b
    19 years ago

twrosz, I just converted a bed (about 30' x 10') into an ornamental grass bed this year and am very happy with the results so far. Grasses include Karl Forester and Overdam, Deschampsia Schottland and Bronzelsheir (hoping for success in wintering these), and started from seed: Panicum virgatum, Erianthus ravennae, Achnantherum calamagrostis, Little Blue Stem, Melica transsilvanica (has wintered for me), Calamagrostis brachytrica, Spodiopogon sibirica (frost grass). Also have the variegated ribbon grasses in there (both the pink and white) but if I find Avalanche, the ribbon grasses will be moved to somewhere with hard packed soil which keeps it from spreading all over hells half acre.

• beigestonehill
    19 years ago

Hey Pudge where did you get the seed for these grasses? Were they easy to start from seed?

• Pudge 2b
    19 years ago

I got most of the seed from Gardens North. They're easy enough to start but I found germination rates low. Gardens North gives you lots of seed in a pack, though, so there was plenty to play with. Melica was very easy to start.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardens North

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Pudge, indeed you have an impressive listing of ornamental grasses! I've grown some from seed but, mostly have ordered plants from various sources. Wish I would have discovered grasses sooner! ... although, seems it's only been of recent years that there's been many cold hardy types released onto the market. I'll soon be moving from this location and indeed plan for a new yard full of interesting and beautiful grasses! Think am also gonna try several tender types in which will be planted up against the foundation of the house. Terry

• donn_
    19 years ago

I just looked at Gardens North's site, because I hadn't heard of them. Their prices seem very high to me. I compared a few things that I just ordered from Jelitto, and found the following:

(Jelitto's "portions" are enough seed for 50-100 plants)

Stipa tenuissima: GN, $4 for 20 seeds. J, 5Euros /portion.
    Luzula sylvatica 'Select': GN, $3.75 for 20 seeds. J 1.50Euro/portion.
    Hystrix patula: GN, $4 for 15 seeds. J 1.50Euros/portion
    Festuca gigantea: GN, $4 for 20 seeds. J, 1.50Euros/portion

Even after freight from Germany, Jelitto is quite a savings. They also have a rather larger selection of grasses. I just received my first order from them. 16 varieties of grass. It took less than 2 weeks to receive the packets.

Just an FYI.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jelitto

• christie_sw_mo
    19 years ago

I found Avalanche at Lowe's this week! They had 3 gallon pots for 12.96 but I had a coupon so it brought the price down some more. I didn't expect to find it there since I've never even seen Karl Foerester. Crossing my fingers that it was tagged right. It LOOKS like the right thing.
    Numbnerve - Are you still reading this? I'm wondering if even a mature one will have blaa plumes. Hoping the one you saw was just young. Was it the color or the number of plumes that didn't impress you?
    Still feeling like I got a bargain. : )

• blackie57
    19 years ago

How does Avalanche compare to Overdam? Is it larger or similar in height ? I have 4 Overdams and love them, but would be willing to give something new a definate shot. I'm looking for something that gets the size of Karl Forester or maybe slightly smaller, but has more intrest,, like the varagation of Overdam.

• Pudge 2b
    19 years ago

I purchased 2 pots of Calamagrostis 'Eldorado' this year, which has a yellow variegation. Too soon to compare to the other Calamagrostis (Eldorado is still potted and in the greenhouse) and the variegation isn't yet very pronounced, but the leaf colour is a very nice bright limey green.

• PollyNY
    19 years ago

Avalanche is somewhat taller than Overdam. Avalanche is the reverse variegation of Overdam. The height as I understand it, should be Overdam, shortest, Avalanche, then Karl Foerster, the tallest. Looks like 3',4', and 4-5' respectively.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thus far Avalanche appears a bit more attractive and pleasing to my eye than does Overdam. Now I'm definitely wanting to come across Eldorado!

Terry

• linden_ab
    18 years ago

glad to hear overdam made it thru the z3 winters. I planted it last fall in a sheltered area (as it was listed as z5) and it made it but was overshaded by some larger plants this summer so have moved it into a more exposed area along with my other ornamental grasses, I have 15 different ornamental grasses and now shall have to watch for 'avalanche'. Am trying hakonechloa m. albostriata, that should be interesting. Have not seen much success with any miscanthusin this area. Any suggestions for the hardiest varieties? Have grown stipa and pennisetums as annuals for many years and overwintered blood grass last year indoors. it was lovely in pots this year.

• Pudge 2b
    18 years ago

linden_ab, I've so far wintered Miscanthus sinensis var. purpurascens and M. sinensis Blutenwunder, both in more sheltered spots near the foundation of my south facing home but with no extra protection other than snow. Only one winter's trial so far but I'm optimistic.

• pam_aa
    18 years ago

One stand out for me this year is Panicum virgatum 'Northwind'. It is very vertical with no flopping, and keeps it shape in winter. Which I would think would be important for you extreme gardeners up north.

Here is a link that might be useful: North Creek Nurseries

• Pudge 2b
    18 years ago

Yes, Pam, I just put Northwind in my garden this year and am hoping for its survival.

• pam_aa
    18 years ago

Good luck to you Pudge, it is called "Northwind" after all!

• linden_ab
    18 years ago

Thanks pudge, shall see what varieties I can find in the spring, and look for the ones you've tried. Nice lily pics on your homepage!

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals
More Discussions