Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tall grass for mostly shady area

Posted by david883 5/6 MI (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 5:35

Hi all

I have a spot in the garden in need of something and I think ornamental grass is just the thing. The previous owner of the house put some really nice hydrangeas in the back yard (about 4ft tall and 5-6ft spread) but they're about 6 feet away from the privacy fence and, standing back looking at it, it looks so bare behind it. Its a pretty shady area only getting very slight amounts of dabbled sun throughout the day. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a tall, clumping grass that will do well in almost no sun (lets say 1-1.5 hours throughout the day). Is that a pretty high order haha?

Thanks again!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tall grass for mostly shady area

Northern Sea Oats or Canada Wild Rye?

However, I probably wouldn't put grass there. My parents use ferns for a similar purpose. Also, Rose of Sharon seems to have accidentally suckered into some shaded spots behind an evergreen hedge, and inexplicably survives. Lily of the Valley also likes shade and has pretty flowers. If you found something that was a nitrogen fixer, it could fertilize the Hydrangeas. Jersey tea is a somewhat shade tolerant nitrogen fixing shrub. (Ceanothus americanus). Might need more sun then you have. You could get a flowering or nitrogen-fixing vine to climb the fence. A vine could get sun from the top of the fence and the other side. (Be careful to check if the vine you pick is invasive in the area.)

This post was edited by edlincoln on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 10:12

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here