Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terocity

Ornamental grasses

terocity
17 years ago

Hi everyone! This is my first post! Yay! I am in Pembroke,GA recently moved from Savannah,GA. We have five acres, about half not wooded, that we now own and live on! I am dealing with loamy sand (or is it sandy loam?) soil and I have planted a small..actually a "wee" bed of flowers....and so far they are fine. I need all the help I can get but am on a very limited budget! I had a nice variety of shrubs, flowers and other plants at our former home. I asked the new owner to call me (she is adding on) if she would be tossing plants as I would love to take them with me. SHe didn't. She tossed! Anyway I think some ornamental grasses would be awesome and low maintenance in certain areas along our drive. Does anyone know of a place I can purchase some at a low cost (or almost free!) or possibly do something in trade? I am not in a postion to trade plants but I am a decorative painter and paint anything that sits still long enough to be painted! Thanks! God belss!

Tara

Comments (10)

• donn_
    17 years ago

The cheapest way to get ornamental grasses is to grow them from seed. It's easy to do, and doesn't take too long to get nice mature plants. This Miscanthus is in it's 3rd year from seed. It's foliage is 4' tall by 4' wide, and the plumes are over 5' tall.

If you aren't into growing them from seed, I'll swap plants and divisions for nicely painted plant containers and pots. Can you post pics of your work?

• terocity
    Original Author
    17 years ago

How in the world do youpost on here? And right now all I have on this computer is a dragon I am working on for my son. We had a computer crash and lost everything. I may be able to pull up some things from my old computer as well. Just tlel me how to post because I cannot seem to find an "upload pic" option! Thanks!
    Tara

• donn_
    17 years ago

Open a free account at PhotoBucket.com

Follow their directions to upload copies of your pics.

Once your pics are there, you'll see 3 sets of posting tags beneath each thumbnail in your album.

Select and copy the middle one, labeled "Tag"

Paste it into a post.

• terocity
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok. Here are a few I pulled off the old computer and the dragon in process. I lost a great deal more when this computer crashed! I knew I should have backed up!! Anyway let me know (and go easy on me now...I never did have classes or lessons. learn as I go.) and thanks!

God bless!
    Tara

• donn_
    17 years ago

You do fine, although, for my taste, they're a little too ornate for garden use.

I could see a simpler version of this one on a planter:

I like the Art Deco look.

• terocity
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well actually if you find a picture (or pictures) of something you want then post here of send to me we could go from there. I wish I had more pics available. These were mostly done for clients and just because I have painted something does not mean it is my taste! Although the dragon is in my son's room and I have two more to paint. Let me show you wha tis more my taste and what I will be painting in my bathroom (we just moved as I said)as soon as I can get it basecoated! This is part of a mural a good friend of mine did in a house we worked on together! Thanks! Tara

• donn_
    17 years ago

I have nothing specific in mind, but you'd have to consider size, material and type of paint for a pot which would live outside, contain soil/water, etc.. Additionally, I live next to salt water.

The link below is a Google Images for "painted pot" and has hundreds of examples.

Here's some huge examples:

{{gwi:40804}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Painted Pots

• terocity
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Donn,

Doncha' just love Google Images?? I get most of my references from Google! Anyway yeah I love the look of some of those pots. The type of pot, what will be in it and where it will be placed were alrady on my mind. Resin pots are really the best as I am not sure how a clay/terra cotta pot painted in the necessary steps (definitely a good two or three coats of XIM primer (two on inside and one on inside) would affect the actual plant. Acrylic or anything water born would peel right off. So resin would be the way to go. I do not have the paints & glazes necessary to do a ceramic or porcelain pot nor do I have fast access to a kiln! I don't know though. I need to go talk to my boys' art teacher. She wanted me to come by and possibly demonstrate what I do for a living to some classes anyway so maybe I could talk with her about firing a thing or two. But that is a big maybe since we just moved here and I do not have the relationships with these teachers that I did in Savannah. Ok so you want to pick a pot size and style? Or would you like me to just go to Lowe's and see what they have that is paintable, take some pics, send them to you and purchase what you would like? Color schemes would be good to so what ever I do will flow with what you have presently. Lots to figure out for a pot, huh? Think about what I deal with doing whole rooms! The money is good and I can't wait to get back to work!! I had rotator cuff surgery in July and am still on the mend. Ok thaks. I am enjoying the emailing and process of creating a pot or two for you! We'll see how it goes from here! Thanks adn God bless!
    Tara

• donn_
    17 years ago

Tara..let's take this discussion to private email. My email address is on my page. Send me an email and we'll start working on details.

• titanhockey02
    17 years ago

Hi, I have no clue about the grasses, but wanted to say your paintings are awesome! Would you ever be able to paint a butterfly scene on a suncatcher thing about 8" in diameter? If so, what would you charge? I don't have any grasses I can trade, though I might be able to get some seeds from my neighbors collection of grasses. I'll look tomorrow and see if I can find any seeds

Sponsored
More Discussions