Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donn_

'Karley Rose' is beautiful!

donn_
17 years ago

{{gwi:866058}}

A poorly lit shot this morning. Three new divisions of Pennisetum orientale 'Karley Rose' blooming in their containers, in front of a clump of Hibiscus moshcheutos just beginning to bloom.

The grass in the lower left corner is a new clump of Calamagrostis brachytricha, winter sown this year.

Comments (13)

• juicylucy
    17 years ago

Hi donn,

I agree that Karley is beautiful! It's the one of the earliest grasses to bloom here and goes until a hard frost. Love it!

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

Donn,
    is there a significant difference between the plain species Pennisetum orientale and P. orientale 'Karley Rose'? I can't see much difference from the picture you posted ...
    A.

• donn_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't have any other P. orientale, so I can only speak to what I've read. 'Karley' is supposed to be more upright and has finer and darker green foliage, and the plumes are more rose-purple in color than the species.

• blackie57
    17 years ago

Just got myfirst one this year afer seeing one at a friends. Although it says it's marginal in my zone, my friend has had his for 2 or 3 years and it does fine so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Blackie

• dereks
    17 years ago

I've been a bit disappointed in this grass. It was gorgeous in early summer but now the seedheads have lost their red color and have turned a light brown and look old. It does have a beautiful stature, I just with the red would last longer.

• friesfan1
    17 years ago

This looks like a beautiful plant. Something I would like
    to try in my zone 5b. How does it handle full sun situations?
    Thanks,
    Mary z 5b KS

• donn_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mary..it loves full sun.

• juicylucy
    17 years ago

Another difference between Karley and the species is that Karley is supposedly hardier. From my understanding, straight P. orientale isn't reliably hardy to zone 5.

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

Lucy,
    The species is totally hardy here in my zone 5 garden for the past 8 years or more. I have even grown it for a number of years in a 1/2 whiskey barrel with no problems overwintering.
    Here is a pic of my P. orientale ... do you see a big difference between it and your Karely Rose???

A.

• jondmvn
    17 years ago

{{gwi:866061}}
    {{gwi:866062}}

major players
    Panicum virgatum ÂDallas Blues (PP)
    Pennisetum orientale ÂKarley Rose (PP)
    Pennisetum orientale ÂOriental Fountain GrassÂ
    Miscanthus sinensis ÂMalepartusÂ

minor players
    Miscanthus sinensis ÂHinjo or 'Little Nicky' (PP)
    Phalaris arundinacea ÂFeeseyÂ
    Pennisetum alopecuroides

hidden player
    Helictotrichon sempervirens

time for a beer. cheers!

• jondmvn
    17 years ago

so my reply to the question I forgot to answer was...

for me my P. o. 'Karley Rose' is larger and darker flowered and also longer blooming than P. oriental.
    but how i love them both so much!

• juicylucy
    17 years ago

Hi achnatherum,

I don't grow regular orientale but have read that karley is supposedly hardier and assumed it must not be very hardy. So much for assuming! Good to hear of your experience, it must be quite hardy to survive in a barrel in zone 5. As jondmvn mentioned, the plumes on my Karleys appear darker than the plumes in your pic, otherwise they look pretty similar. I have a hard time photographing Karley, the above pic. is an excellent representation.

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

Jon,
    Excellent picture to demonstrate the differences. Thanks for that.

Could you post slightly smaller images next time ~ big is nice but us poor slobs on dial-up really have to wait a long time to see the whole picture :o(

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County