Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sea oats, how to make bloom?

Posted by abacoian 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 9:18

i have 2 healthy plants that i bought a few years back but they have never bloomed. wondering if a certain fertilizer or some sand from the beach would be good? appreciate any help, ian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sea oats, how to make bloom?

I've searched high and low, and I'll be jiggered if I can find an answer.

I'm going to guess your plants have it too good, and would benefit from some stress to make them feel threatened enough to flower out of self-preservation. Uniola paniculata lives and thrives in some seriously adverse conditions, and seems to flower just fine. Perhaps the garden setting is just too easy for it.

Don't feed them at all. Cut back on watering them. If you can work some sand into their soil without damaging the root systems, try that.

o

thank you Donn,

i just added a bucket of shells from the beach around each one, we'll see

o

Mine always bloomed & set seed when I lived in Long Beach, CA.
It was in lightly dappled shade.
Watered only once a month.
No fertilizer.
And self-sowed.

Perhaps you're taking too good care of it.

o

I used to have some and it bloomed regularly, on its own. It was in clay soil, little fertilizer and occasional water. Partial sun, mostly shady. The city has planted some at a couple of bus stops and they bloom all the time, and I know they don't get any help at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here