Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foxtrot Ornamental Grass (Pennisetum)

Posted by corgichic NYz5 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 07 at 10:08

Hello. I have 6 plants (3 on either side of my front walk) that have gotten extremely huge and find myself needing to move them over about 12-16inches so I can have my front walk again :). Anyhow, since they are in bloom (with their plumage in full glory,) I guess now is not the time to do that.

Would October be too late to do this move? And would it be ok to divide them then or should it be done in spring? And can anyone tell me is there anything other than for appearance sake, does cutting the grass down after blooming in the fall or in the beginning of spring does to affect the plant growth or hardiness?

Thanks for reading and have a good day!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foxtrot Ornamental Grass (Pennisetum)

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 20, 07 at 10:37

You definitely don't want to divide or transplant the grasses in the fall, or even now, for that matter. It's a warm season grass, and you're at the cold end of its hardiness range, so it's getting ready to go dormant for the winter. Move it in the spring, at the same time you give it its annual haircut. If you cut it back in the fall, you'll run the risk of winter damage, because the dried foliage actually provides some protection for the crown of the plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here