Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
5' Schizachyrium is this normal?

Posted by juicylucy z5 IN (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 10, 05 at 10:29

Just wondering if this is normal for 'The Blues'? I was expecting 2-3' but they are much larger at almost 5', way too tall for where they are planted. Please tell me this is a fluke and next yr. they will be shorter :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 5' Schizachyrium is this normal?

Weird, but not uncommon. I have seen in my production blocks a 4-5 foot stalk with flowers that come out of perfectly healthy plant. What is your limitation, if any, of light? Is the soil compact? Too fertile? Does the plant represent the typical colorings, structure, and shape of The Blues, or Schizachyrium at all?

o
RE: 5' Schizachyrium is this normal?

Thanks AgastacheMan! They are in full sun in fairly lean soil, not compacted. I've never seen The Blues in real life before planting but they look like pics on the net. The nursery I purchased them from grows their stock in hoop houses so I thought perhaps they were advanced in growth and just continued to get bigger after planting? It will be interesting to note their growth next year when they start anew. At any rate, wasn't sure if I was confused on how big these were supposed to get or not! I am really loving them, though, just not at this size in the particular location.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here