Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkrell_gw

Liriope control or alternatives

bkrell
9 years ago

I've owned my newest home 3 years. It has several large flower beds front and back. The first 2 years, I kept on the previous owner's yard crew. The one thing I miss is the guys weeded every bed and maintained mulch. Since taking this over myself, the liriope that borders two of my front beds has become the bane of my existence. I simply cannot keep it weeded. I have two large beds where it's used as a border in conjunction with half-buried bricks. In the more shaded of the two beds, St Augustine, sedge, and sand bur grow in it even though it's thick and dark green. The other bed is even worse. It's a large oval bed that lines one side of the driveway and receives full sun. I have several issues. First, in full sun, the liriope stays a lot more yellow than my shaded bed and does NOT grow as vigorously. Second, the weeds. Sedge and Virginia buttonweed are everywhere. I hand pick the bottonweed and occasionally try to top the sedge w/ the weedeater. But it's a large bed that has a prominent place in my front yard and I'm very self conscious about it. And I have a sprinkler system that, mercifully, I have not had to use as much this year but I'm sure, along with the shallow depth to clay, contributes to my weed issues.

So I'm just wondering, does anyone think this is worth saving? The liriope is very thick but stunted-looking in the full-sun bed and the weeds/grass just outrun it. It's a LOT of work to weed. I tried using an ornamental-safe post-emergence herbicide last year and the stuff killed half the grass and yellowed the liriope even more. If I do just decide to get RID of the liriope in my front bed, I'm at a loss as to what to do to it. The bed consists of maybe 10-12 manicured azaleas and that's it. If I ditch the liriope, it's just that and the brick border. Any thoughts on any of this???

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions