Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgregory_zone6

What's wrong with my grasses?

dg
11 years ago

I planted this root bound Pennisetum A. "Cassian" 2 weeks ago. I've kept it watered and it actually rained 2" the other day!

This grass gets full sun all day. I teased and trimmed wrapped roots and added amendment when I planted it.

About a week ago I noticed a few of the "flowers" are crimped up and brown. What I am doing wrong. Is it just transplant shock, the fact it was root bound in the pot, or am I over/under watering...Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'll post 2 close ups in the next 2 messages, because I don't know how to post more than one pic per message :?

Deb

Comments (8)

• dg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

picture #1 close up of browned & crimped "flowers"

• dg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Picture #2 close up.

Thanks for any input,
    Deb

• noki
    11 years ago

Not sure you did anything wrong. I suppose you mean that the newer fuzzy "flowers" basically didn't finish growing and open. Probably stress from being in a pot all summer, then being transplated. The plant may not be all that great to look at the rest of the year, but keep watering and it will probably be fine next year.

• dg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh thank you for answering! I had a feeling that it might be stress.

I've gardened for many years but these are my first (a grasses newbie for sure) and I'm pretty excited about planting them. I thought that the "flowers" were all opened already and assumed they had then clamped back up and browned because I was watering wrong.

It's fine if they don't look that great for the rest of the year, many other plants and trees are rough looking around here too.

I'll keep after them and look forward to new growth next year.

Thanks again,
    Deb

• noki
    11 years ago

Actually might still get new "flower" inflourances, some may still be growing up.

• dg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That'd be pretty cool:-) I'm really enjoying them even if this is as far as they go this year. I've planted one on each side of the entrance to our drive. Decided to start with smaller ones hoping they will become drought tolerant as they mature in that particular garden.

Deb

• donn_
    11 years ago

Beautiful spot! I love the wheel rim.

That grass will own that end of the bed in 2 years, and will look fantastic.

• dg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, donn! That's the grass' home now, so they may as well own it ;-)

The wheels came off of an old horse drawn farm implement used for raking hay. The old timer's call it a Sulky Rake. I won the rake at an auction only because the guy who would have bid against me was in the porta pot. :-D

Deb

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz